Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Tracks supposedly running, but no sound

Solved!

Tracks supposedly running, but no sound

Hi all,

I've got Spotify up and running, with no error messages.  However, when I press play, no sound comes out  The countdown/timer thing on the bottom is working fine, but I don't hear a thing.

I'm thinking that re-installing it might solve the problem, but will I lose my starred list/playlist if I do that?  

I have Spotify Free at this moment.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Down over near Play / Pause, etc- there is actually a volume slider.  I hadn't noticed it, but somehow mine had gotten turned down all the way. 

Another culprit was that my sound card had gone into mute mode on it's own.  Right click on speaker icon in taskbar.  Check all settings in there.  Hopefully that'll help.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I have the same issue and everything with my computer is fine. Every song, or every other sometimes, the track continues to play with no sound until I click on a part of the timeline, or whatever it is called. I usually just click on the beggining but it is annoying because I have to do this on a frequent basis.

View solution in original post

40 Replies

Oh, duh.  Forgot to mention that I'm  on a MacBook Pro, running 10.7.3.  It worked last night, and I haven't installed anything new or changed any settings.

Marked as solution

Down over near Play / Pause, etc- there is actually a volume slider.  I hadn't noticed it, but somehow mine had gotten turned down all the way. 

Another culprit was that my sound card had gone into mute mode on it's own.  Right click on speaker icon in taskbar.  Check all settings in there.  Hopefully that'll help.

Marked as solution

I have the same issue and everything with my computer is fine. Every song, or every other sometimes, the track continues to play with no sound until I click on a part of the timeline, or whatever it is called. I usually just click on the beggining but it is annoying because I have to do this on a frequent basis.

I experienced same issue, i suppose it is some issue with a new release they made.

Can confirm, I have this problem too for a month now.

Spotify employee is informed now ant take a look into this.

This problem is also in Windows...

I got the very same problem using PC with Windows 7 (but i dont think that matters)

If everyone of us have the same problem...

Songs being played without sound (its something from the server-side)

But if you restart the song you'll get sound.

But in the long run its quite annoying especially when you pay for Premium and it dosent work. (which makes me wanna stop pay and use it) But its for my Daugther and her Kid Songs 😞

Please fix this issue, love the software and the App.

Ah forgot to mention... Spotify works like a charm on my phone but on PC - not so very good with the sound thingy.

Just following up on threads with similar issues.  Thanks for reporting this guys.  Although, it very well could be a client issue and not a server issue since it doesn't seem like everyone is experiencing the issue.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Not-playing-the-start-of-some-songs/m-p/74339#M6865

Keep an eye on the linked thread or this space for updates.  

Yes, I'm experiencing this this evening.    Spotify merrily 'playing' but nothing coming out of the speakers.  

Yet another issue.

So just to be clear, the "ticker" (see screenshot) is moving accross the bottom of the desktop app, but no sound is coming out correct? 

ticker.png

Yes. I have video about it!

I have the same issue. I'm new to Spotify and, via FaceBook (on Google Chrome) I just installed Spotify on my MacBook Pro (OS 10.5.8, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB memory, 1067 MHz DDR3). The timeline is progressing as if the song is playing, the sound in Spotify is up, the sound on my Mac is up (and other sounds work just fine), but nothing is playing out my built-in speakers on Spotify. I've rebooted Spotify and my Mac but still no go. 😞

Did we get any answers on this? Every other sound comes out of my mac except spotify.

Started happening to me again recently. Not occured for about 5 or 6 months. 

Both on my work computer and home laptop (both Windows 7)

Same problem. I got a redeem card from someone and installed spotify. Downloaded some tracks and then updated the application. Worked fine. Until today. No sound. Installed app on iPhone and also no sound. Since both devices have the same problem I think I can rule out settings but checked volume setting for spotify in control panel, on application itsself etc..Rebooted pc to no avail.

Rebooted iPhone as well, and that fixed that one. So the on the phone it works now.

This problem seems to have popped up a couple of times. I'm seeing pretty old posts about it. So apparently spotify is not able to fix it easily.

I'm probably going to download some more songs (since WinAmp plays them fine) until I run out of credit.

Maybe another update will fix the problem in the mean time. If not, I'm uninstalling it from the pc. Shame though. Looks like there's good content and I found what I was looking for on the first try, also syncing with the phone was very fast.

Same here.

I can click on "play" and it should be playing, but no time, nothing.

I just bought a premium subscription, why should I keep it if the service is totally unreliable...

Also on Android, sudden unwanted change in the volume setting, almost blew my eardrums...what a load of crap this is

@fabmic wrote:

Same here.

I can click on "play" and it should be playing, but no time, nothing.

I just bought a premium subscription, why should I keep it if the service is totally unreliable...

Also on Android, sudden unwanted change in the volume setting, almost blew my eardrums...what a load of crap this is

There are some ongoing issues: https://twitter.com/SpotifyStatus/status/346570514053079043

Seems to be coming back now 🙂 

As for Android, are you using the EQ? Try turning it off, there are a few reports of loudness issues over on the android section.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

At bottom left corner of spotify there is a volume key and if thats all the way down it won't play sound so if you just turn that up it should work. So if this helped you welcome 😄

Please follow me on Spotify xX_ROGO_Xx

Thank you for solving my problem!

Same problem and reinstalled (Also disabled all my anitvirus and firewall programs just to make sure) but there is still no sound in app on my Windows Vista PC.  The strange thing is the Spotify Web Player in Chrome gives sound and works fine.  They need to get their act together...

Suggested posts