Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Typing to jump to songs no longer works

Typing to jump to songs no longer works

Premium

United States

Windows 10

Spotify used to have this feature, but it disappeared a while ago and I haven't been able to find anything on here explaining why. Being able to start typing a song or artist or album (whatever your sort is set to) and have the selection jump there is an incredibly core music library software feature, and I'm not sure if there's a bug causing it to not work on my end or if Spotify removed the feature for some inane reason.

Do the developers have any insight on what happened with this?

5 Replies

Hey @zdsampson 

The feature you described has been removed, so it's not a problem at your end. The only way to navigate to a song you want to find is using the filtering feature (ctrl + F should activate this so you don't need to scoll back to top).

There was this Ongoing Issue thread too which you can check out here. If it's something you'd like to see as a feature, you can create an Idea to request its return here.

Have a nice day 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Why would a feature like this just be removed though? I don't understand. It feels like it just got bugged and the developers couldn't figure out how to fix it so it was just deemed a "removed feature."

Hi again @zdsampson,

Thanks for your reply.

You can currently filter a playlist to get the same functionality. Try opening a playlist, and look for the little magnifying glass icon above the sorting options. If you start typing a song name, artist there the app will point to the track that contains those words. Hope you find this info useful.

If you can't do this in you client, send us a screenshot so we know how it looks from your side.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@zdsampson wrote:

Why would a feature like this just be removed though? I don't understand. It feels like it just got bugged and the developers couldn't figure out how to fix it so it was just deemed a "removed feature."

Why? I quote as best I remember: "We are constantly adding and removing features to try and improve things." Apparently Spotify truly thinks that this is an acceptable motivation and an acceptable way to treat customers. Constantly removing features that they use without a better explanation than the above quote.

I for one consider it insanity and a frequently repeated slap in the face of paying customers like me.

If only there was a service with good software that treated their customers with respect and a similar music catalog available in Sweden. I'd switch in a heartbeat. I used to happily use Google Music until they forced me to migrate to the horrible mess that is Youtube Music. I'd never have switched back to Spotify had Google Music not been discontinued. 

If only there was a service with good software that treated their customers with respect and a similar music catalog available in Sweden. I'd switch in a heartbeat. I used to happily use Google Music until they forced me to migrate to the horrible mess that is Youtube Music. I'd never have switched back to Spotify had Google Music not been discontinued. 

I did a double take after I posted that when I realized that it had been some years since I checked what was available. I was very pleasantly surprised when a quick googling found several available services with a larger selection than Spotify and several other feature advantages such as better audio quality.

I don't know what spotify is thinking anymore. I thought they were feeling secure acting like this because they were the only real option. But they are absolutely not the only game in town anymore! If they keep treating us customers like this we will realize this and we will leave in droves. I'm off to try the free trial of these three services. Hopefully I'll be able to say goodbye forever to Spotify.

Suggested posts