NEXT STEP

Unable to Play Any Track on Spotify Desktop Player

Unable to Play Any Track on Spotify Desktop Player

Plan: Free

Device: PC

Operating System: Windows 7 (64 bit)

My Question or Issue

Hello Dev Team and all users,

I have just created a brand new Spotify account, installed Spotify for Desktop and tried playing songs but I am unable to play any song.

Screenshot: http://prntscr.com/mvskmx

I am from India and the service is recently launched in India.

Being one of the world's best music streaming service, I am totally disappointed with the service. I am a advanced computer user and have done all possible steps mentioned in the Spotify help sections (hosts, firewall, restarts, etc.). I am able to search for songs, artists, playlists, albums, etc but the moment you hit play, nothing happens.

I have a 100Mbps connection and Spotify program is allowed through my Windows 7 firewall

Checked with Antivirus disabled - no success

Checked the hosts file and there is no spotify entries there

Uninstalled and re-installed Spotify desktop app - no success

Cleaned my PC with a third-party junk cleaner (Windows temp files, cache, history, junk, registry, etc.) - no success

Tried even with a VPN - no success

Device: PC

Plan: Free

I believe this is something to do with the user's IP address interfering with your service settings. This is a bug at your end guys. Please fix it.

6 Replies

Hey there @ScottAnderson !

Can you search for some music on the Search bar above, and upload a screenshot of how the search results look, and what happens after you double-click a song. Does the track turn green? Also is it possible for you to try this in a different device and see if you see the same behaviour?

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Here you go:

Searched for the song "Pure Spirits of the Forest" and see this in search results:

http://prntscr.com/myofd8

After clicking on Play: http://prntscr.com/myofqv

As you can see, it does not play any track. The album art does not appear (when playing).

My user name is werty123456

Can you please check if something is wrong with my profile? I am able to login with this user ID on my Android and able to play without any issues.

@ScottAnderson 

Can you also try this: 

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. Go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them.
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify.

Hi @Mantisentil ,
I tried doing the same steps, but things won't budge.
I am also a Windows 7 user (32 Bit), and also a have Free Account.

When I tried to edit the 'hosts' file, it did not show any 'Spotify' word in it!
So I can't edit and save because it is already done! 
I did try reinstalling and restarting my pc but still the 'hosts' file did not have 'spotify' in it.

Also when I connect my phone with my PC, it shows my playlists' names but shows that the playlist is empty. Even though it works perfectly on the phone and I can still add and control songs on my phone through my laptop, but fianlly it won't play on my Laptop/PC.

What should I do now? Please Help!!

Please read my first post. I clearly mentioned that I checked my Hosts file and that did not help. The service has just launched in India and having such an experience from the start is not good. Any other suggestions?

just unsub its been this way for a while.... 

Suggested posts