Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What does it mean to 'follow' an artist?

What does it mean to 'follow' an artist?

What exactly does it mean to 'follow' an artist?  I understand that if I go to My Music > Artists they will show up in a list there.  But how is that any different than just creating a playlist for that artist?  Will I get updates somewhere for artists that I follow?

26 Replies

Come on guys, I follow several hundred modern artists, the last notification I got was 3 months ago, for just 4 tracks. And I've only received 2-3 emails ever.

This is ridiculous, there have been about a hundred new tracks from my followed artists since then.

All my notifications are turned on in the settings and still nothing.

The notification feature is like 40% of the whole Spotify experience for me - the ability to find new music.

Now I occasionally go through these artists to check what's new and add it.

Please fix that feature, it's now completely 100% useless.

Also it would be truly amazing if you could add some new tab - "New releases from the artists you follow" or something like that. This would be the coolest thing ever.

And it will slightly recover the problem where we missed the new releases for the last couple of years since the app notifications got removed.

There's now a "New releases" tab but it's just random stuff in there, completely unrelated to your taste.

Please, I'm dying without this!

UPDATE: to anybody who's also struggling with this, here's a solution using an external app:

http://app.swarm.fm/#/releases/latest

People... go follow the spotify playlist "release radar"... a selection of new releases of artists you follow. It's like "New music friday" but customized for you. 

With that said, I do agree that Spotify is kinda lame in the "artist" section of "your library". In fact, the whole "your library" still needs a loooooot of new features to make it worth it to follow artists and playlists. 

Under "New Releases", you can find "Release Radar" which is filtered by which artists you're following. 

Also, to be fair,  "coolest thing ever" is a bit overstated; there are so many other improvements Spotify can do that can be way cooler than "Release Radar". 

PS. Don't be frustrated when you can't find certain function of Spotify; simply search in the community and you'll find the solution! That was how I found "release radar" again after I unintentionally unfollowed it... 

My question is: If someone follows you but you're not an artist, will they get a notification if you added a new song to a playlist? Or what?

• The problem with Release Radar is that they put they music they want. Many releases don't appear when releases from artists you've never heard do appear. I do use it, because there's nothing more, but it gets me frustrated. 

Anything Spotify team?

where will you get the notification?

Suggested posts