Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What is the proper/expected way to play podcasts so that they are played oldest to newest order?

What is the proper/expected way to play podcasts so that they are played oldest to newest order?

Device

Laptop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

When listening to a podcast with many episodes, the Windows Spotify app plays them in the order of top to bottom, not oldest to newest. 

So the only way to listen to a podcast is to sort the episode list "Oldest to Newest" and then to scroll all the way to the bottom (past 100's of old episodes) until I get to the near bottom, find the episode I left off with and play it from there.

This is impossibly inefficient. There has to be a better way?

6 Replies

Hi there @SandyFarmer,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. We're happy to help.

Can you let us know which version of the app you have? This way we'll be able to help you out in the best way.

It would also be great if you can provide us a screenshot so that we can have a closer look directly from your end.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Thank you for helping on this. I haven't used the app lately so sorry for the delayed response. And so I just interacted with your Windows desktop application (version 1.1.59.712.g54f36e5d-a) and the issue is still there.

Per the attached screenshot of a podcast, those episodes are in the standard sort order (newest to oldest). I had just finished episode B and expect episode A to play next (as it is un-played and it is more recent than episode C), but episode C was played instead.

The only way to get your desktop app to continue playing podcast episodes in order from oldest to newest is to sort all of the episodes from oldest to newest, then you have to scroll down that episode list which can be hundreds of episodes until you get to the last episode you listened to. 

It is just doesn't make sense that this is the intended way to use this application and so there has to be a different way that I am not understanding.

I wasn't sure if my screenshot image posted or not, so I am attaching to this comment. 

Screenshot_spotify.png

Hey @SandyFarmer,

Thanks for getting back to us and for the screenshot.

Currently the app is set up in such a way that the play order matches the sorting order. Regrettably, this means that you must indeed sort the episodes from oldest to newest in order for them to play in that order. As a workaround we can suggest creating a playlist with a portion of the episodes and arranging/ sorting their order there.  

It seems also that other users requested this to be changed and posted this idea. We recommend that you +VOTE it to show your support. We'll share any updates on the matter there, as soon as there are any, so it's worthwhile that you also subscribe.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello - 

I am having the same issue on Windows  (Spotify for Windows
1.1.79.763.gc2965cdf) , except I have sorted my podcast from "Oldest to Newest" but when it goes to the next episode, it is out of order:

LayyUhh_1-1645458879394.png

LayyUhh_2-1645458896854.png

How can my que align in order with how the episodes are sorted? 

Hi @LayyUhh,

Thank you for reaching out.

After reviewing the info you sent, we found this is an issue that's been reported recently by other users.

This is the thread that's handling this specific issue, so please head there and add the following info to the post:

• Your device info: Make, model and operating system

• Spotify's app version

• The troubleshooting steps you've tried so far

In that post we'll share all updates related to this issue, so please keep an eye on it.

Cheers!

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts