Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

What's on Appdata/Local/Spotify/Data

Solved!

What's on Appdata/Local/Spotify/Data

Hi,

I changed my "Offline Songs Storage" in my settings and restarted, I then downloaded a few songs and didn't expect my Appdata/Local/Spotify/Data to be filled with 700mo ?

My OS drive is installed on a SSD and I don't want to use it for nothing, especially if I'm downloading lots of music. This is why I've changed the path of the Offline Songs Storage, thinking I wouldn't use much the SSD, and still, he uses my OS drive instead my hard drive (even if he downloads the music) ...

Little explanation or help over here, what's in this data file, can it be moved ?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Didn't think of it but I created a mklink

Basically it will make Spotify think the "Data" folder is there, but in reality it is stored elsewhere.

First move your folder Data from your AppData where you want it stored (with the data usage).

Then open the CMD with WINDOWS + R, then type CMD then press ENTER.

Then type :

mklink /J "C:\Users\yourUserName\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data" "D:\Spotify\Storage\Data"

yourUserName : explicit;

D is my storage drive, change it as you like in the folders you'd like with "\" signs.

You don't need a "Data" folder inside your AppData spotify folder, because this command will create a "Link" with the look of a folder.

If you enter this created file, you'll see and think is it that the Data is still saved on the C drive, but it is the point, make the program think that.

In fact the data is really stored in your storage Driver.

If you have a "permission denied" message, right click the CMD icon in your tray, another time on the "Command prompt" then run in admin.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Didn't think of it but I created a mklink

Basically it will make Spotify think the "Data" folder is there, but in reality it is stored elsewhere.

First move your folder Data from your AppData where you want it stored (with the data usage).

Then open the CMD with WINDOWS + R, then type CMD then press ENTER.

Then type :

mklink /J "C:\Users\yourUserName\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data" "D:\Spotify\Storage\Data"

yourUserName : explicit;

D is my storage drive, change it as you like in the folders you'd like with "\" signs.

You don't need a "Data" folder inside your AppData spotify folder, because this command will create a "Link" with the look of a folder.

If you enter this created file, you'll see and think is it that the Data is still saved on the C drive, but it is the point, make the program think that.

In fact the data is really stored in your storage Driver.

If you have a "permission denied" message, right click the CMD icon in your tray, another time on the "Command prompt" then run in admin.

I think it is easier to open Spotify.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Show Advanced Settings > Offline Songs Storage > Change Location.

And then choose the new location to store the offlines songs 🙂

I did that multiple times and cleared the folder on C drive. But its size is increasing anyway after a while. At the moment reached 1,5 GB.

I ran into the same issue with the regular desktop client on Windows 10: a temp folder on drive F: is set in the settings, but Spotify writes temporary files into AppData on C: nevertheless.

In the past, it worked to manually uninstall and re-install the client. But after some automatically installed updates, the issue would come back.

FWIW: I gave the Windows 10 Spotify App from the Windows Store a try. After installing it, the Spotify folder under AppData was automatically cleared, which is encouraging. Maybe it fixes the issue for good?

Suggested posts