Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

When family member listens on Echo Dot it stops playing on my device

Solved!

When family member listens on Echo Dot it stops playing on my device

I have a family plan, and everyone has set up their own accounts which I invited.

If I am listening to my account on Windows PC at work or Android phone in car and daughter starts playing music on her account on her Echo Dot it takes control and sound away from me and I see a message saying "Listening on Daugher's Echo Dot"

I have tried removing devices but have not found a workround to stop this happening ... yet.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi there @9ycurgzh21m0708afqs3,

Thanks for the post.

What is most likely happening is that your account is linked to the Echo dot and Spotify plays music from your account on her speaker. What you can do is disconnect your account from the Alexa mobile app and link her Spotify account to the Alexa app and the speaker.

1. Open the Alexa app on your mobile.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Then, under Alexa Preferences, tap Music & Podcasts.

Disconnect Spotify Alexa

4. There, you will find a lists all music streaming services currently connected to your Alexa app (you will also find a Link New Service option to link another streaming account), find and tap Spotify.

Disconnect Spotify Alexa

5. Tap the Disable Skill button on the Spotify details page.

Disconnect Spotify Alexa

6. Finally, tap disable on the confirmation page.

After that from the same app, link your daughters Family plan member account to the Alexa app. 

Note that if you have multiple Alexa or other smart speakers in the household, to which everyone has access to, you might consider connecting a separate Spotify Family member account to those speakers, so that it doesn't interrupt the music stream of any other person that might be listening with their personal account on another device.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi there @9ycurgzh21m0708afqs3,

Thanks for the post.

What is most likely happening is that your account is linked to the Echo dot and Spotify plays music from your account on her speaker. What you can do is disconnect your account from the Alexa mobile app and link her Spotify account to the Alexa app and the speaker.

1. Open the Alexa app on your mobile.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Then, under Alexa Preferences, tap Music & Podcasts.

Disconnect Spotify Alexa

4. There, you will find a lists all music streaming services currently connected to your Alexa app (you will also find a Link New Service option to link another streaming account), find and tap Spotify.

Disconnect Spotify Alexa

5. Tap the Disable Skill button on the Spotify details page.

Disconnect Spotify Alexa

6. Finally, tap disable on the confirmation page.

After that from the same app, link your daughters Family plan member account to the Alexa app. 

Note that if you have multiple Alexa or other smart speakers in the household, to which everyone has access to, you might consider connecting a separate Spotify Family member account to those speakers, so that it doesn't interrupt the music stream of any other person that might be listening with their personal account on another device.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator

This worked!
Brilliant!

Thank you!

Hey there @9ycurgzh21m0708afqs3,

Thanks for the reply.

Glad to hear that helped and you can enjoy your music uninterrupted 🙂

Cheers.

AlexModerator

HI! It doesn't look like this issue was solved here ... and I am facing exactly the same problem. I am in my office using a different network and am playing spotify on my notebook.

My Wife is at home trying to play something on our SONOS system... When she starts, it stops for me and vis a versa. Why are we interfering with each other? She is using her account and I am using mine!

HI! My post was moved here... but this is about ALEXA... it won't help me with SONOS issues will it? @Lyubka is there a better place to have my question discussed?

Hey @CalvinOscar,

Thanks for getting back to us.

The cause of your issue is pretty similar because you've linked your Spotify account to the Sonos system and since you can't play music from your account on multiple devices simultaneously, the playback get interrupted.

In order for this to work, your wife needs to install the Sonos app on her own phone, connect to the system and add her own Spotify account. For more info on how to do this, please check out this thread or reach out to Sonos directly.

We hope this help.

MihailYModerator

OK I need some help with this same/similar issue. I have 1 x sonos and 3 x echo dot speakers at home that can be link by alexa to play as a group. I have a Spotify family plan however when I play Spotify in tge car and my daughter starts her playlist at home my music is overtaken with hers and vice versa. There are 4 members in my family including me. So what's the best solution? So that I or any still play my music on all speakers together, singularly with their own playlists?

Hey @achambers77,

Thanks for posting your questions in the thread!

While it's currently not possible to link more than one Spotify account per Alexa account, there’s a workaround that allow you to set up multiple Spotify accounts to work with your Alexa, which may help in your case.

By setting up an Amazon Household, you can add multiple accounts. You can then switch between the accounts using Alexa's voice commands.

Just keep in mind that everyone who intends to use it will need to set up their own account with Amazon, which also has to be linked to their own Spotify account.

Another option is to use Spotify Connect without linking the accounts. However, if you don’t link the accounts, you'll have to use the Spotify app to choose the music and you won’t have the full functionality of Alexa’s commands.

Hope this helps! Cheers.

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

What if we all use the same echo device for music? Is there a way to make it so that each persons account on the echo can play from their separate Spotify accounts so it doesn’t keep kicking me off every time she wants to use the specific one we all use. 

Suggested posts