Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Where are the like buttons?

Where are the like buttons?

Hi there,

Just wondering if I got this right.

I read that you can "Like" tracks and that spotify will then play more tracks similar to the ones you "like"

the problem is I can't find any like button in my desktop app.

I have googled and searched everywhere and can't find anyone with the same issue in the windows desktop app.

any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

20 Replies

Do you mean the thumbs up button?

The thumbs up button only appears when you are using the radio feature.

Here is the guide on how to use the radio feature in the desktop app.

The images are from the old client so it looks a little bit outdated, but it should still help.

Spotify Radio lets you sit back and listen to music you love. The more you personalize the stations to match your tastes the better they 

1. Open Spotify.
  2. Click Radio on the left. 

User-added image
  3. Click New Station.
    New Station button
  4. Enter a track, artist, or playlist then select it to get started.

User-added image

All done! You can create up to twenty stations at a time.

To skip a track, just click Next.

User-added image

Personalize your stations

Just click thumbs up or thumbs down when a track is playing and the station improves to match your tastes.

User-added image

Delete unwanted stations

Simply hover over the station you’d like to delete and click the X in the top corner.

Delete radio stations
MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Is this available also for Playlists and Albums or only for Radio?

I also have problems finding the buttons.

This is only for radio. Radio keeps playing similar music based on the station you pick. It will be a continuous flow of music.

The purpose of playlists is to add the songs you want to the playlist. You choose the music.

If you want to add a song or album to your collection, click on the + button.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

But when I listen to a playlist made by something else, is it not possible to set like/dislike for a song?

The songs in the Spotify playlists and radio belong to the same song Db of Spotify... why this difference in behaviour?

Is no one else bothered by this?  I wanted to switch to spotify from google music, but I probably will go back because of this. 

You should be able to like/dislike any song, no matter whether its in a radio or playlist, it makes no sense.

What I usually did in google music, I searched for a song or album that I like and hit the thumbs up button. In spotify you cant to that... you could right-click the song, start radio station about this song, then like it... 

If you want to add several songs you have to start a radio station for every single one just to like it, its a lot of pointless work.

This option does not work when you take over the radio from your mobile. It means, when I am listening a radio on my mobile device, than starting the desktop app and use it to continue listening with sopitfy connect there are no thumbs up/down buttons appearing.

I think the same way! I personaly like to download entire álbuns, listen to them and select my best songs. So I can keep them in my device, or at least keep track of them after removing the dowloaded álbum from my phone. Can't find an easy way to do this (as in Google music and even Deezer).

Same here (and ironically, I can't "Like" your comment for some reason)

@felixsc123 wrote:

Is no one else bothered by this?  I wanted to switch to spotify from google music, but I probably will go back because of this. 

You should be able to like/dislike any song, no matter whether its in a radio or playlist, it makes no sense.

What I usually did in google music, I searched for a song or album that I like and hit the thumbs up button. In spotify you cant to that... you could right-click the song, start radio station about this song, then like it... 

If you want to add several songs you have to start a radio station for every single one just to like it, its a lot of pointless work.

Yes I'm definitely bothered by this. I decided to give Spotify a try, I've been using Google Play Music for years. You should be able to like/dislike a song no matter where you are playing it. This is an important feature for the service to learn what you like/dislike. Google Music has been awesome with this feature. Only reason I wanted to try Spotify was because  it seems like everybody is on it and sharing playlists with each other, and I was missing out on those playlists. This missing feature might keep from switching to Spotify.

The inability to thumbs up/thumbs down for Spotify playlists on Sonos was a big factor in my switch to Google Music. It seems like a trivial thing, but it makes a big difference when you hear something that you like and want to have some way to easily save it.

Click 'Stations'.

Say 'Create A New Station' 

Later Search A Single,Album,Singer.

Open Song.

Your Welcome.

I disagree. 4 steps/clicks and a search to do something that should be instantly available throughout the UI with one click? Nah. far too much trouble. The lack of this feature suggests that the Spotify UI designers don't use playlists very much - if they did this would have been fixed a long time ago. I mainly listen to playlists, not radio, and the lack of the thumbs up on playlists is getting close to being a deal-breaker for me. It's only all the effort I've put into building my lists that keeps me paying.

Yaaayyy!
          A playlist aficionado--

Imagine how you would do a mixTape with the thumbsUp mixes you want--

* Into an empty playlist, you copy three of some track, four of some artist, and a random background of your favorites.

* You freely "shake in a few" more by Ctrl-V, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-V, . . . .  of whatever strikes your fancy-- or the vision of your love's fancy.

* Then you randomize the whole mixTape playlist to give to your friend who really likes some particular track and some particular artist and likes to dance to some samba, cumbia, or . . . .

* Here is a >> quick randomizer << that generates randomized playlists explicitly-- Very good for mixTape playlists, as you can see.

And you are good to go!  Play with the Spotify Shuffle turned Off, of course-- if you want to play your whole playlist . . . .  (I laugh.)

Your Ctrl-V is your thumbsUp-- how many thumbsUp do you shake into your mixTape This time?

With playlists, thumbsDown is really easy-- You automatically thumbsDown, for this particular playlist whatever you don't explicitly put into the playlist, would you agree?

That's a great suggestion, and prompted me to lookup keyboard shortcuts for Spotify (something I hadn't thought of) thanks! However, that's pretty much what I do - I have a 'follow-up' playlist that I add tracks to. It works (sort of) but is still more cumbersome than just a thumbs-up / thumbs-down; [ctrl][c], Select playlist, [ctrl][v] vs Thumbs-up/down.

My main reason for wanting to do this is to influence the suggested music from Spotify. I want to broaden its rather restricted view of the types of music I'm interested in.

Thumbs-up/down should be the easiest way of doing that (I would have thought). I'll have to find some decent curated lists that serve the same purpose.

Oh well, it is what it is.

that made me switch to google play also after coming back to spotify for 1 hour after a bad slacker experience.

I completely agree.  This is stupid.  Why does it only show up in radio or my "daily music mix."  How the heck is spotify supposed to figure out if I like a song if I can't tell them that.  Something is wrong with the algorythm.  Also, it takes into account stuff that you just PLAY.  For example, a friend of mine is a huge K-Pop fan, so she suggested a few song for me (I hated them) but for a LONG time, K-Pop artists kept showing up in my reccomendations.

I really can't understand why the **bleep** I can't simply like a song, with no radio bla bla bla bull**bleep**.

@KursadOzen wrote:

Click 'Stations'.

Say 'Create A New Station' 

Later Search A Single,Album,Singer.

Open Song.

Your Welcome.

This list of actions is just hilarious for liking a song.
You really have to like a song to put so much effort in it to save it.

Does anyone know why spotify doesn't implement the simple like/favorite feature?
I don't see any disadvantages?

Hi Spotify, please include like and dislike buttons everywhere. Also, if I dislike "Birdy" about a thousand times, STOP SERVING IT UP! 

Suggested posts