Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows media keys (pause, play, skip forward/back) don't work

Windows media keys (pause, play, skip forward/back) don't work

As of some recent update, my keys for pausing/playing songs, etc. have all stopped working for Spotify, both when tabbed in and out of the app. I do not use Chrome, or any other media player service that would be overwriting the inputs, as far as I can tell. Adjusting the volume still shows the desktop overlay when I use the keys for that, but all the playback-related ones have stopped working. Specifically, I really don't like that the in-app keybind for play/pause is space, which doesn't register when I'm not tabbed in to Spotify itself.
4 Replies

My keys disappear and I can't stop, pause, skip. Bugging the **bleep** out of me.

Hey folks,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

In this type of case, we'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful to get rid of any corrupted files that might be causing issues with the media keys.

In case that the issue persists, would you mind including the OS version and the Spotify Version you're currently running in that device? This will give us a better look at the issue to help you further.

We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Oscar.

I have the same problem, after a clean install. Skipping tracks backwards and forwards works OK, it's just Play/Pause and Stop don't work for me.

Spotify for Windows: 1.1.89.862.g94554d24

Window 11 home, version 21H2
OS build 22000.795

Thanks.

Hey @cadoganhall,

Thanks for your reply in this thread 🙂

Is this happening on another computer? It’d be awesome if you could check. You can ask for the device of a relative or a friend to open your account and check. 

On another note, just to make sure, is this happening in both the web player and the desktop app? If not sure, try it and let us know how it goes.

Lastly, Is this happening over WiFi? LAN? Both? Do you notice any difference if you switch the internet red you're using?

We'll keep an eye on your response! 

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts