Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

error code 18 - can't reinstall Spotify!

Solved!

error code 18 - can't reinstall Spotify!

I'm running Windows XP and I've recently uninstalled Spotify to get a clean install...  Grabbed the latest downloader and tried to install and am getting an Error 18:

"The installer is unable to install Spotify because the files to write are in use  by another process.  Please make sure Spotify is not running and retry."

Well i've tried everything from rebooting, manually removing the spotify directory in C:\Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\Spotify and nothing seems to be working.

Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions?  It's torture without the music!

111 Replies

Thanks so much! Been searching for a hour or two!

This worked for me! I had same problem so I deleted all files connected with spotify and Restarted my computer, Downloaded spotify again and now it works. Tho I didnt had to do anything with the comodo beacuse I am not using it.

I´m running a W10 IOS. 

Thank you for the little guide ^^

i cant even delete anything in the app data folder in windows 8.1   it says access denied because its running on the background.

and i cant even stop the process to then be able to delete the files so technically spotify is JAMMED RUNNING while at the same time its not running because the program isnt opened or anything

@xxevalenciarxx wrote:

I just found another quick solution to this problem.

At first I could not open Spotify because this error code would constantly show up.. but then I tried deleting some files and I could not do that either. Whenever I tried deleting something, it would say "Invalid MS-DOS function". So I checked out a forum to fix that problem..and it ended up fixing my Spotify problem as well.

This is what I did:

1. Uninstall Spotify

2. Press Windows+R

3. Type and search "msconfig"

4. Click the "Boot" tab, and under "Boot Options" select "Safe boot"

5. Click "Apply", "OK", and then restart your computer.
6. Your computer should have restarted in Safe Mode. Just in case, try deleting a simple file on your desktop (this is what I did but is probably not necessary).

7. Repeat steps 2-4, but this time deselect "Safe boot", apply, press OK, and restart again.

8. Your computer should restart with everything working perfectly now.. Go to spotify.com, redownload Spotify and try installing.

Hope this helps!! Please click like if it does.

Have a blessed day 🙂

This worked for me like a charm. Never wouldve thought of it...and still dont know why it worked, but it did! Thanks! 

For win 7 solution:

1. alt + ctrl + del to enter task manager

2. kill the process called 'Spotify.exe'

3. click back the spotify re-installer.

bingo! worked for me....!

Marked as solution

Don't listen to those people what you gotta do is simple:

1:Completely uninstall Spotify from your PC

2:Go to My coumputer

3:Go to the search bar and type "Spotify"

4:Delate ALL file that have Spotify in there name/description

5:Restart your PC

6:Reinstall Spotify

Cheers

Thank you so muchhhhhhh! I had tried everything but only this worked!!!

Thank you so much dude!

Thanks so much buddy! It worked for me, Take care.

Marked as solution

I recently had the same issue and none of the solutions were working. First, try the other solutions because some feedback says they work, but if they fail try this.

1. Go into the File Explorer app

2. In the File Explorer, on the left hand side there is a column, in the column click "This PC"

3. On the search bar that should come up in the app, search "Spotify"

(This process may take a minute, be patient)

4. Select all of the items that come up by checking an box to the left of the item that is only visable when scrolled over or already selected

5. Right click in the area of the selected item(s)

6. Click delete

7. It should move them to the recycling bin, if not and there is a pop up press "skip" in the pop up and go to the recycling bin. 

8. Empty the recycling bin then reinstall Spotify!

This was the easiest solution I could come up with! I hope it helps, if not please contact me.

-Maya

Thanks alot man! Made my day

This drove me nuts for quite some time, and reading all the different solutions just made everything seem more complicated.
What finally worked for me was incredibly simple. 
I searched for Spotify on my computer, which did not show any results at first (I'm not yet used to the Windows10 search function). Then I clicked on the suggestions for where else i could search for it (sorry my computer is in Swedish so explaining this is not the easiest heh). 
I clicked the top one, and found four shortcuts ("internet shortcut") which I deleted. After deleting these, I could install spotify just fine. 

Good luck!

Namnlös.png

odd, is this something that goes wrong in one of the .dll files?  tried to delete those in the command prompt though wouldn't let me kill the process, at least your solution fixed it for me 🙂

i don't have comodo and it still wont install

I can not reinstall Spotify anymore, I have tried many different things reading everyones suggestions and nothing works!!! Why isnt the actual Spotify answering or coming up with a solution since many people are having the same problem!!!?

As a support engineer, these 'soloutions' make no logical sense and somewhat dangerous to the machine 😕

I really dont know what to do...I wish someone from Spotify would look into this issue so many people are having

I have also this problem! First I couldnt get spotify on...some shorter error message appeared. Thats why I uninstalled it and tried then to re-install  it..but the message 18  came on every time: I tried to shut down my computer etc...uninstalling lastfm and ituned didnt make any sense!!

So could someone PROFESSIONAL tell me the best solutions??I have windows 8.1.

Yes I have also windows 8.1 and exactly the same problems!

Haha what the hell, thanks for this! Never would have thought that.

Suggested posts