Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Spotify can't play this right now." and none of the existing solutions work.

"Spotify can't play this right now." and none of the existing solutions work.

Plan: Premium

Operating System: Windows 10, Version 20H2, OS build 19042.1415

Version: Spotify for Windows 1.1.76.447.g11f432d8

My Question or Issue:

No songs or anything else can be played from my desktop version of spotify. The error message comes up as:

> Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it.

I have looked into other posts and suggestions about this. I have restarted my computer to no avail, I have also completely uninstalled and removed spotify and reinstalled it entirely, the issue persists.

Additional info being that when I do it play on something, it will rapidly cycle through songs, always 4, in rapid succession. Like it will try and play one, jump in 0.1 sec to the next, and then the next, etc, landing on the fourth one and just sitting there. None of them play it just flashes through the song title and album art etc in the bottom now playing bar.

edit: Spotify does work in the web player & on all my other devices, it's just the w10 client that doesn't work. I am using the w10 version downloaded from the spotify website, not from the windows store or anything like that.

5 Replies

Hey there, thanks for asking in the community.

I see you have already the basic troubleshooting. There is one more thing you should try that tends to solve these issues. Head over to Spotify.com, sign in to your account and scroll down to click Sign Out Everywhere.

Note that this will sign you out on all your devices so you would need to save your library offline again. Let us know how it goes.

Throw a like my way or mark this as a solution if I helped. ‌😊

AmayySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I have had these issues as well throughout the day (1/11). Like the original poster, I have gone through all of the suggested troubleshooting steps, to no avail. The only thing that seems to work is changing the audio output from my Creative SoundBlaster AE-7 to any other output, starting playback in the app, and then switching back to the sound card, and it works fine. However, upon exiting the app, and re-entering it, the issue returns, and I have to do the switch to make it work again. The issue seems to reflect this issue that was submitted a while back.

Yes thank you, this worked - almost all issues BNordell mentions are repro'd on my end. Only difference is my spotify desktop player never works, as opposed to working sporatically throughout the day.

I can solve the issue by changing my sound output from my dedicated headphone amp to something else (i just used my monitors built in speakers) and then spotify works, and continues to work even when I put it back on the correct (dedicated amp) output.

I will have to do this each time the player is restarted/reopened or my computer is, etc.

I don't want to mark this as solved because this is a bug for sure that needs to get addressed, but this workaround of swapping audio inputs DOES temporarily fix the problem for anyone searching with this same problem.

The other reply to sign out everywhere does not work.

Thanks for the help.

Just went through all these issues as well, and found a potential solution (at least it worked for me). All the above steps did not resolve the issue for me. However, I finally have music playing again.

Go to Settings -> Sound -> Advanced sound options (below the "test your microphone" section) -> App volume and device preferences. Within there, somehow, my Spotify had a blank section for the output. I turned it to Default and voila, I have my music back.

I ran into this issue today with a new DAC/Amp (Xduoo TA-10R).  After troubleshooting, I changed the USB cable to a better/different brand. No issues since. 

Suggested posts