Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[HTC Wildfire S]Audio slowing and dropping out since updating last night.

Solved!

[HTC Wildfire S]Audio slowing and dropping out since updating last night.

I updated to the latest version of spotify last night on my htc wildfire s. Since then the audio often (every 5 mins or so) drops out and/or slows down. This is with both downloaded and streamed content. I've reinstalled the app to no avail. Other audio players on the device are fine. Has something in the audio path been updated that requires a load more mips or something? Would anyone be able to point me at an installer for an earlier version so I can roll back to that? Gonna have to cancel my subsription otherwise 😞

EDIT: Subject edited as this appears to be phone-specific.

36 Replies

It's a shame Spotify haven't resolved this issue in the latest update. I wouldn't hesitate to cancel my subscription if I didn't have the option to install an older version!

I wish I could install the older version.  I'm having the exact same problem and am very much considering canceling my premium subscription which I had previously enjoyed for years.   My recent post re this

@kasey wrote:

I wish I could install the older version.  I'm having the exact same problem and am very much considering canceling my premium subscription which I had previously enjoyed for years.   My recent post re this

Hi Kasey, 

The problem is quite easily resolved by installing an older version. 

Please see this response I received a while ago, which completely solved the problem: 

"There is no official method of rolling back to older versions (that I know of). The best way is to keep copies of the APK yourself, you can download the latest official Spotify APK from http://download.spotify.com/android/SpotifyAndroid.apk and keep these for future reference.

However this won't help you now, as that will give you the version 0.7..APK. So if you haven't kept older versions you will have to find another source. I have a feeling it would be wrong to post links to external sites so the best I can do is suggest you Google for "Spotify 0.6.6.270 Apk". The one from apks dot org works fine.

I am currently working with Spotify Support to solve this issue for my Wildfire S, unfortunately, this has been held up because I have moved to a new country and need to update my payment details and address to continue my premium subscription."

Installing the APK file is pretty straightforward, and a quick google of how to do it will give you results. 

With version 0.6.6.270 you should be able to listen to music with "Extreme Quality" with absolutely no stutter.

If there's no APK file of version 0.6.6.270 I can provide you with one! 

You just have to make sure you DISABLE background data when you're connected to the internet after installing the older version, otherwise your HTC will automatically update Spotify to the latest version, which is a real arse ache. If you need to enable background data to download apps from Google Play Store, make sure you cancel the Spotify download a.s.a.p, as it will start automatically! 

Enjoy.

Thank you for that and for such detail.  I got the 0.6.6.270 link from Spotify and so far it seems back to normal.  I didn't know however about having to disable background data as that wasn't mentioned -- so stay tuned!

@kasey wrote:

Thank you for that and for such detail.  I got the 0.6.6.270 link from Spotify and so far it seems back to normal.  I didn't know however about having to disable background data as that wasn't mentioned -- so stay tuned!

Glad it's sorted! With Background Data enabled (in "Accounts and Sync" in settings) your apps will automatically update themselves when connected to a wireless connection. I had to reinstall the older version of Spotify and redownload all of my playlists. Just wanted to make sure others don't make the same mistake I did! 

I AM HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM ITS SO ANNOYING!

My HTC Wildfire S isn't rooted either, and I also have a lot of data free on my external Micro SD card.

@Rancid91 wrote:

I AM HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM ITS SO ANNOYING!

My HTC Wildfire S isn't rooted either, and I also have a lot of data free on my external Micro SD card.

Rancid, please take the time to read through the forum topic properly before posting. The issue has been resolved by installing an older version of Spotify, and details of how to do this are all on this forum. This isn't an issue with the HTC Wildfire S, it's an issue with Spotify.  

Hey everyone--thanks so much for your patience while we gathered some info. 

We're still investigating this for you. As soon as I have an update I will let you guys know here!

Thanks. Looking forward to a fix!

I don't feel that the issue is fully resolved because if you want to go to the app store, you have to enable background data.  When I do this, Spotify wants to upgrade.  How can we stop this from happening?  Shouldn't have to go through all the steps again just because we want or need to update or install other apps.

Thank you.

@kasey wrote:

I don't feel that the issue is fully resolved because if you want to go to the app store, you have to enable background data.  When I do this, Spotify wants to upgrade.  How can we stop this from happening?  Shouldn't have to go through all the steps again just because we want or need to update or install other apps.

Thank you.

You just cancel the upgrade and continue with what you're doing, checking periodically if it's automatically updating. Pretty irritating but as long as you're not on the app store all the time it's not too much of a problem. I only really bought the Wildfire S for Spotify so I'm not too fussed about apps. Can't speak for other people though!

Anyway, it seems like Spotify have clocked onto this issue and are looking to fix it for the latest update. 

@kasey wrote:

Thank you.

Ignore what I just said. There's an easier way. 

Just search for the Spotify app and un-tick where it says "automatically update". Then you shouldn't have to worry about it updating. 

Spotify

I don't see that option anywhere, but thanks for your continued advice and responses!  Looks like I'll have to manually cancel the upgrade but fear I won't always be able to do it in time.

Open Play and go to "My Apps". Find and select spotify then click on the ellipsis ... and Auto-update. That will remove the checkmark and stop Spotify from auto-updating.

Thank you. I've tried that but don't see the ellipsis. 

If you can't see the virtual menu button on your phone, try the steps here.

Been helping a friend with this issue lately and while browsing around for solutions I've discovered that the reason the music stutters and slows is that when the phone shuts off the screen and locks it also slows down the processor (CPU). With the slower processing power it can't handle the stream or something.

Why this wasn't a problem in v0.6.6.270 I don't know, that version works without a hitch for him now, but it might be a good idea to look back to see what you guys changed (directed at the Spotify team)

Good luck all of you that has the problem, with a bit of luck they'll fix it eventually =P

Suggested posts