Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback stops when my internet connection status changes

Playback stops when my internet connection status changes

As of the latest update, Spotify on Android has been stopping music playback for offline (ie: downloaded) songs. It used to be that I could start an offline playlist on my phone at home (4G) and then continue listening without pause when I entered the subway (no cellular signal). It woud continue playing, even after I exit the subway and have a 4G connection again.

As of the latest update, when I enter the subway, my playlist stops. When I open spotify, it doesn't offer the option to resume, so I reselect the song to continue listening to the music. Once I resurface, my phone re-connects to the 4G, and the song stops again. Again, I have to open Spotify, and reselect the song to continue playing it (from the beginning).

This just started happening as the latest update. At first I thought it was just my phone, so I restarted it but the problem still persists. Since I can still listen to music offline on phone, I'm assuming its not an issue with my Premium plan. Its rather annoying when my music stops, and having to restart it everyime the internet connection status on my phone changes.

3 Replies

This was almost word for word what I came in here to post. I suspect this is an oversight in the latest build and will be corrected but would be good to have confirmation from Spotify that they recognise the issue (if you haven't already done so I would report it to them too through a ticket).

I have opened a ticket.

Another thing I discovered is that Spotify no longer automatically resumes my music after a call. Before the update, Spotify would pause when I got an incoming call, and then resume when the call was over. That no longer works now. I have Verizon, which doesn't allow for data during a phone call, which I think relates to my problem. No data connection and no cell connection are similar in that there is no data connection during these times. When Spotify detects I have no data connection, it seems to come to a complete stop.

Yes, I had this issue yesterday and it was totally annoying, the whole point of downloading a playlist is just to be able to play it whether you have an internet connection or not.

It's their obsession with connect and your play queue being on the cloud rather than your device. When it gets into a data area it wants to check "the cloud" for your play queue but can't find it so it stops.

Suggested posts