Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

After the latest update, Spotify (Mac) desktop doesn't plays music anymore

Solved!

After the latest update, Spotify (Mac) desktop doesn't plays music anymore

This morning I updated Spotify on my Mac laptop (OS X 10.9.5) to the lastest version (0.9.14.13.gba5645ad), but after that Spotify doesn't play any songs anymore; not from my own playlists nor from Spotify's own playlists. I constantely get the message "can't play the current song". After skipping +5 songs in the playlist, from time to time just one song plays and after that the same thing continues, "can't play the current song".

I've tried several things to solve the problem; restarting Spotify; turning off and on my wifi connection on my laptop; rebooting my wifi rooter; reinstalling Spotify, but non of those things helped to solve the problem. Additionally, the app on my smartphone (iphone) still works fine though. But it is quite annoying that the desktop version doesn't work anymore. 

Does someone knows what is going on or how to help to solve this issue?

Kind regards,

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Uncheck High quality streaming in Preferences. The new update changed the high quality-streaming feature only to work with premium subscription. They claimed that in the past but if checked on the free service it still worked, so the new update blocks the player from working if checked. The Spotify people should have warned us of this change and it would have avoided all this aggravation...

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey there! Do you have a premium account? 

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

View solution in original post

59 Replies

Anybody have any advice on this? I'd rather not have to open the web player to play all the albums I really want to listen to, I like the desktop app. 

I am currently still having this problem. I dont have any of the local files checked. They never have been checked actually. Hardware acceleration is turned off. And I actually deleted all my local music files when I got spotify premium so that should not be an issue either. 

@WesleyDB wrote:

I am currently still having this problem. I dont have any of the local files checked. They never have been checked actually. Hardware acceleration is turned off. And I actually deleted all my local music files when I got spotify premium so that should not be an issue either. 

I unclicked everything in local files but had to close the program and then restart it and then it worked

Hi there welcome to the community 🙂

Just to be sure, does the webplayer work for you?

I would also recommend doing a full reinstallation including removing your cache folders if you haven't done that yet.

Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

Am getting this message after every song finishes playing, so I have to double-click the next track 2-4 times every time the current track finished. It started a few weeks ago but has been getting worse and tonight its doing it on every song.

Hi, thnx! 🙂

Well I didn't tried the webplayer though, but I just found a/the sollution in another post (http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Accounts-and-Subscriptions/Spotify-updated-now-every-track-will... The issue is just to uncheck the high quality streaming in settings. Apperently this issue appeared when going back from premium to a normal subscription. 

After this, the desk player works normally again. 🙂 

Cheers

Glad to see that it helped you!

Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

I recently got on spotify and everytime I go to radio or my favorited songs it says I "can't play current track" this was not happening yesterday just happened recently I'm not sure what to do

Marked as solution

Hey there! Do you have a premium account? 

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram

Only occurring on some songs it says for "Can't play the current track." for some reason. At least it is only happening on some songs. I looked at other forums and someone said to update your audio drivers but I have no idea how to do this. Can someone please give me a solution as I really like using Spotify.

same issue after update

Singapore

0.9.14.13.gba5645ad

Hey, so when I select/shuffle through songs, I receive the message "Can't play the current track." I have already unchecked everything from Local Files and restarted and what not. Sometimes if I get lucky, I can keep selecting a song or shuffling and it will actually play. Can anyone help me identify a solution as to why this is happening? In case this is important, I do not have a premium account in use. Thanks.

-Big Man Tyrone

EDIT: Before, it was fine. I had been using it for months. Out of the blue, it just stops working. It was working that same day, but once I exited and reopened it, it gave me that message.

I've been having this exact problem on my Macbook.

Just recently updated to OS X 10.9.4, tracks will play about 2 seconds before stopping and giving the "Can't play the current track" banner.
I've tried clearing Spotify cache and reinstalling to no avail, any assistance we can get would be appreciated!

This is infuriating. I can't play any songs without restarting my spotify player again and again!

I have no such issues when I was using premium and now I'm back to free account.. and you do this to me?!

Sasme problem after yestrday update!

Italy

0.9.14.13.gba5645ad

Same problem after yestrday update!

Italy

0.9.14.13.gba5645ad

Same here after yesterday's update.

Same Problem after Update yesterday !!!

Same problem after update.

Italy - 0.9.14.13.gba5645ad

Suggested posts