Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Can't remove old local files

Solved!

Can't remove old local files

So for some reason there is no drag and drop for local files anymore.

Spotify requires you to have a designated folder selected in spotify.

Me just wanting to listen to my music, went ahead and did that.

But it turns out I can't delete the old tracks from my local files that were put there when drag and drop was still a feature.

So now all my local files are duplicate.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Sort of, Spotify stopped launching a few days back so I had to reinstall and that has reset everything.

So you can do that. You will just have to reconfigure some of the settings you had set.

But there is also something else you might try if you feel like it.

There is this file called "local-files.bnk", it's located at "C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Users\{Spotify username}-user".

Renaming that file to something like "local-files.bnk.backup"  and restarting Spotify might be worth a shot.

I wasn't able to try myself, because Spotify stopped launching before I noticed that file.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Thanks for getting back to me! I'm on a Mac, so the file is in a slightly different location:

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Spotify/Users/username-user/local-files.bnk

After renaming the file and restarting Spotify the "zombie" files were gone. Thanks!

View solution in original post

15 Replies

hello there and welcome to the community,

When you open the folder 'local files' Do you see all the songs duplicate in the list and playable ?

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yes, all old songs remain in the list and are playable.

At first they are unplayable because I moved all the songs to one collective folder.

But once I add that folder to spotify, they become playable again.

Actually there is no option to delete it from the Spotify list.

The only way is to delete it from your local folder or create a new local folder with another name where you store the songs and you delete the previous folder.

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

What are you talking about?

It keeps the old songs no matter what even if I remove them from their original location.

Let me explain it again.

Before, my local files playlist consisted of files that I drag and dropped into spotify.

Spotify has dropped this feature.

So I have created a new folder and have transfered all the files I want in spotify to that folder.

At this point all the songs in my local files playlist are greyed out and unplayable, because I haven't added the new source yet.

There is no way to remove these.

How do I remove these.

Please also tell me how I can stop getting these annoying messages about "ranking up" everytime I post a message.

Did you ever manage to sort this out? I also dragged files before and now I can't remove those files... Very annoying!

Marked as solution

Sort of, Spotify stopped launching a few days back so I had to reinstall and that has reset everything.

So you can do that. You will just have to reconfigure some of the settings you had set.

But there is also something else you might try if you feel like it.

There is this file called "local-files.bnk", it's located at "C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Users\{Spotify username}-user".

Renaming that file to something like "local-files.bnk.backup"  and restarting Spotify might be worth a shot.

I wasn't able to try myself, because Spotify stopped launching before I noticed that file.

Marked as solution

Thanks for getting back to me! I'm on a Mac, so the file is in a slightly different location:

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Spotify/Users/username-user/local-files.bnk

After renaming the file and restarting Spotify the "zombie" files were gone. Thanks!

Thank you. Couldn't find this information anywhere else. Bumping in hopes of it rising on Google. 🙂

For completeness sake I just want to add the location of the file on Linux:

/home/$USER/.config/spotify/Users/<spotify-username>-user/local-files.bnk 

thank you. I deleted that file and everything works now.

Thanksssss brothaa!!! U don't imagine how much I've been looking for solving this!

Thank you.It worked but I have a question.If I add new local files and then decide to remove them should I rename the "local-files.bnk" file again to its original name or something else?

Thanks man! Solved here.

What a relief! Spotify will refuse to play any track if it can't find the "local" file. Now I can stream my favorite albums again.

Thank you for the Linux instructions!

Suggested posts