Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS 9.3 excessive battery drain on iPhone 6

iOS 9.3 excessive battery drain on iPhone 6

Hi, 

is anyone else suffering from excessive battery drain using Spotify lately?

ive noticed this issue since I last updated the iOS operating system to 9.3 where my phone battery would be at 100% and listening for about 15 mins in the morning would drain my battery to around 80%. This used to only drain to about 98% before updating to 9.3.

i would also drive to work listening to spotify and it used to end up at around 90% and now about 60%

come to think about it there has also been an update from Spotify recently so this could also be the reason!? Who knows?

13 Replies

Hi there and welcome to the community,

I can't check that for you as I'm still on iOS 9.1, but perhaps a reinstall will help?

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

Thank you! I think it's done the trick!!!

Reinstalling the app worked fine. But 2 days later the same battery draining started again. Nearly 20% in 1 hour!

Bump on this one, also tried re-installing, did not help at all

Actually having tested Spotify for a week or so I've noticed the battery drain is still happening which unfortunately reinstalling the app did not work.

Looks like the guys from Spotify will need to look into this issue and provide an update! 

Have had to stop using it on mobile data, will drain 60% in two hours.

Same for me. I desactivated Spotify use in background . Helped a lot but not perfect.

Anyone knows if Spotify will do something about it?

My Subscription is running out soon, so I'm thinking about switching to another Music Streaming Service if this doesn't get fixed asap. Have had this problem for 2 months now, really annoying.

I am having the same problem. I was using Apple Music and would get off work with 39%. Now with spotify my phone dies about 30 minutes before I get off. Might have to switch back if this does not get resolved.

Check and see if background app refresh is on for your phone. Also, look at Spotify in your settings and see if background app refresh is on. If it is, it'll be frozen in place and you can't change it. These are the steps to fix it:
1. Turn on background app refresh for your whole phone
2. Manually turn Spotify off in the list of apps under background app refresh
3. Turn background app refresh off for you the whole phone
When you go an look at the Spotify app in your settings it should now be turned off. This is what's worked for me

Seems you need to completely log out of Spotify to stop the battery drain. Friend with a new iPhone, fully charged saw the battery drain 20% in 3 hours with nothing running When she logged off Spotify and closed it, battery drain went to only 10% with a hour phone call. Tried this myself and was able to also see a major difference

This has been an ongoing issue for years now and nothing has changed. I have been a premium subscriber the whole time and I listen to almost all of my music offline, downloaded in extreme quality, through the eternal speaker. I do not use headphones.

I can watch my battery drain while listening to a song. I just lost 8% while listening to a 5 minute song through the speaker. My iPhone 6s battery will drop to less than 20% within 2 hours of starting.

In the picture I attached you'll see my usage for today. Keep in mind that I had to plug the phone in so the 44% charge is not accurate.

I really hope this gets fixed because I don't want to use another service just so my phone doesn't die on me before lunch.

image.png

Not related to a specific iPhone version, or iOS. To fix this:

Go to your iOS settings, scroll down and look for Spotify, within the Spotify settings disable: Background Refreh.

It should be fine now.

Suggested posts