Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Change Username

I know this is probably out there somewhere already, but I find it quite frustrating that I was assigned a "username" of lots of numbers when my account was created.  It makes it hard for people to find me, as I can't remember my username, let alone try to get them to.  Can we please make it an option to change our username?  Even if there is a once-a-year change or something...that would be such a helpful thing!

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

Comments

Yes they should bring back this feature. 

Or remove the username from the share playlist feature to make it more obscure. 

My username i did actually choose but this was 10 years ago and i don't like it.

If i create a new account then it's just letters and numbers which is rubbish.

Danny-Iftikhar

We need more votes people, apparently that's the only way they'll even listen. My previous comment obviously wasn't seen by Spotify 😂 keep up voting the post!  Cheers

Fragile_EXT

Its a shame that two requested things are still not implemented.

Why is Spotify messing around? Lust let us change the Username and block or remove followers! Why are you still avoiding this function! There is no reason!

bornxntuesday

I had my Spotify account since four or five years ago. I am transgender, so I didn't want to see my previous name in my account or my username, which was related to that name. I contacted support and I created a new account, they transferred all my data to this new account. Now my username is a bunch of letters and numbers, so I can't really use it. It's impossible to remember.

This feature would solve a lot of problems, not just mine. It should be possible since day one.

asciiM0
More than 12,000 votes already and you still keep up to "not right now"? The main reason for this community seems to be ignored! Don't you realize we are PAYING CUSTOMERS?
emilyleone

This was last updated alomst 3 years ago and they need to update this! I didn’t even get to choose my name when I made my Spotify Account. This is unexceptable. 

Stephen_

[originally posted at [Social] Add Display Name Option for User Account]

For those who don't have a Spotify Community profile, use the,

"Help us improve your account experience. Did you find what you were looking for?"

section of your Spotify account page to say "no", and in the follow up question indicate that you were looking for a way to change your username.

---

This would be great for privacy and professionalism. I have an old username from when I was younger (before Spotify started giving people randomly generated usernames I think) that shows up in the Spotify window and share links to my account and playlists. It's the reason I don't share my Spotify account with people. If Spotify internally had a lookup/translation table it could use current usernames as it already does but display custom usernames on all user facing and public parts of the product. I'm imagining something similar to Instagram's username system.

I would have just signed up for a new account by now but don't want to lose my custom Spotify generated playlists or have to wait for Spotify to relearn what kind of music I like for my recommendations. I also have an extensive playlist library that would be a pain to move over manually.

cohendylan1
Great idea Live Ideas!  I went to my Spotify account from my desktop
browser, clicked on my profile at top right, clicked on Account, and
then at the bottom of the page clicked No for Did you find what you are
looking for, and entered this:

I would like to change my user name.  As a software developer, I can
assure you this is easy to do.  The usual solution is to have an
unchangeable numeric id for each user used internal to the system, such
as "12349876".  And then for display purposes, the user can choose any
alphanumeric sequence not already being used, such as "Moms R The
Best".  Thousands of people have asked for this feature on your
community board.  Please implement this number one most requested
feature by your users.
folkfood

What's the new status on this please?

zorren

Its a necessary feature, once that people created its accounts in the past for listening to music only... Once they started sharing playlists in a public way, changing profile became necessary.