Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Change Username

I know this is probably out there somewhere already, but I find it quite frustrating that I was assigned a "username" of lots of numbers when my account was created.  It makes it hard for people to find me, as I can't remember my username, let alone try to get them to.  Can we please make it an option to change our username?  Even if there is a once-a-year change or something...that would be such a helpful thing!

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

Comments
Stephen_

(https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support/)

Now you can edit your display name, your username doesn't show up in share links, on your playlists, or on your profile (important for people with awkward usernames from before the random username system was implemented), and you can login with your email instead of your username! 

🎉🎉🎉THANKS SPOTIFY! 🎉🎉🎉

Melody
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

michjunge

Stunned that we have to vote for what is the most basic of functionalities in digital communities. This is the simplest task for the dev team – if they think it isn't they are incompetent. Really. If the username is a data key that cannot change then put a user editable display name on top of that, and call it "username" on the outside - but don't tell us users about the concept of a "display name", we don't care, we just want to be able to control our username.

asciiM0

You can now change the name that's displayed to all users on every platform. So where's your problem? Does it really make anydifference, if it's the username or a display name on top of it?

Maybe I didn't get your issue right?!

michjunge

You can, but only if you have an Android device. Otherwise it's not possible, not even through support.

asciiM0

Are you sure they won't implement it in the apple version also?

It took them years to decide... now give them some days/weeks to realise it for all platforms! 😉

michjunge

I don't understand your question 🙂 I have no idea what Spotify will or wont do, and they sure didn't communicate it. This is  just a vote for them to implement it on all platforms. 

asciiM0

I and I guess they will do it - that's what I wanted to say.

Ovenbird

It DOES 100% work on iOS. I had to refresh the app.

Settings Icon top right hand corner > View Profile > Edit Profile > click on your name.

Bam you can be whoever you want 🙂

bhuu

Awesome start! 

I feel more justified having a name I can change sort of. 

I do ask that you continue working on a system to fully transfer a username and or even the option to fully transfer all data from one account to another. As I'd like a new name without losing the data