Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Android Widget

Having a home screen widget for Android would be really nice. All other media players have one on Android so it'd be great to see that in Spotify too. It'd make things so much easier to just be able control to Spotify from your home screen instead of swiping down for the notification bar or opening the app. It's really simple functionality so please can you add it.

Updated on 2019-09-09

Hey folks, 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to let you know the Android Widget is back. To get listening, make sure you’re on the latest version of the app and Spotify will show in the widget menu on your device. The widget is now resizable too and some stability issues have been fixed. 

2019-09-09.jpg

We appreciate your passion for this feature and want to thank you all for your feedback!

Comments
missmathlady

Why? Just Why? With no warning just take away a key feature your PAID subscribers use multiple times/day?? Let alone listen to it thru bluetooth in our car and now have to risk an extra step if our screen is unlocked?? This is so ridiculous, Google Music has a functioning widget on my phone right now. Looks like I'll give you a week to fix this (despite a "required number of votes" which we don't know what number that is and users should not have to upvote a feature we already had and loved) then I'm switching services. Pathetic. It's 2019 and you take away a widget. *facepalm emoji*

bernardmortsell

Seriously? "Not right now?"

We're using this widget and you'd better put it back, as it is incredible useful 

mmb1

I really miss the Spotify widget 😭

autodestrukt

Dumbest idea ever. Spotify widget has been a fixture on my home screen since beginning. Can't use a non existent notification if the app isn't playing.

BRING BACK THE WIDGET 

Olaf2k4

0 lockscreen controls now on my Huawei now... I'm eider going to use an olderversion of the app or switching...

LexArma

For reals, the continuing wall of silence on the concerns laid out in community posts, and the non-solution copy/paste answers on Twitter from @SpotifyCares are concerning to say the least, and do not really seem like SpotifyCares much.

JasonGendle

Where my widget gone what a load of **bleep**  if it and broke then it does not need fixing. As far as swiping from the top down while a track is playing so I can either skip it or what ever this is not even working on my galaxy s9. Fix your app or ima out not paying for somthing that dose no suit my needs. Plea bring back the widget. 

WTFWidget

Imagine my surprise when this update came 2 days after Spotify took my monthly sub payment. The widget was the singular most useful feature of this service. Without it there's very little, or should I say nothing, that makes Spotify better than any other music service.

Like many other upset users, I will be considering cancelling my subscription. I will wait out the rest of the month, and if it does not return, I will have my credit card company charge back my payment for this month as I have not received the service I have paid for. I encourage others like me to do the same.

Tommy_Cap215

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Why did you remove the widget? It's making spotify so inconvenient. I use it at on my motorcycle, at work, for work and while driving and now it's a nightmare to operate and multitask. Is there another option or am I going g back to Pandora, which sucks. Also what am I paying for now? I already dont get Huku for free which I should ha e and now you ruined the convenience of the app I paid for!

HRH57

I am very disappointed in the loss of the widget. I used it every day and enjoyed its functionality over what was offered in the far clunkier notifications bar thing.

BRING BACK THE WIDGET. It is clearly a very popular feature, and losing it is detrimentally impacting your users' experience with your service to the extent that this is going to cost you a lot of subscribers - and therefore, money. That should get your attention, and you should take it seriously. Improve the widget if you must, but any other way to handle the basic controls is vastly inferior to what the widget offered. You say its retirement wasn't done without consideration, but I'd say it clearly wasn't done with anywhere near enough, or it would not have been done at all.