Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Connect] Show Chromecast on Desktop's Device List

The idea is simple. Why create new features and options for connecting to a new device when its already developed?

Spotify can currently change the device playing music within a LAN in a way that is so seamless I jumped the first time when there were no delay. Why not use this already impressively implemented feature for chromecast? If chromecast was available as a device then it would make it a lot easier for us to use on the computer too, which is the main music player when anyone's home.

My guess is that a chromecast can't truly act as a device, but there should be a way to do this through some back-end trickery. Especially if there are unlicensed 3rd party programs that can cast (popcorntime for example).

original.png

Updated on 2021-01-13

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Desktop users, as pointed out by @MattSuda here.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community 💚

Comments
mikeanywhere

Really? 

16 pages of comments and 5 years later and you're still giving it the 'not right now' bull?

https://play.google.com/music

Simple solution. 

digitalfiz

How about now?

mrstwinkle

Not tried it in over a year but doubt they have fixed it. The chromecast was only bought because if Spotify lies. Gone back to using Bluetooth.

MattSuda

Good news!

You can now find Chromecast in the connect "devices available" menu in the Spotify desktop app and browser web player. Now you can cast your music to Chromecast from the desktop app without having to use the iOS or Android app.

Make sure your Spotify desktop app is up to date

mchamuty

Unbelievable! Five years after the initial post the functionality is finally in Spotify desktop app for Windows.

Spotify_GVKaGd4xkj.png

digitalfiz

Is this a slow rollout? I don't seem my chromecasts in the webapp or the windows app and I haven't gotten an update for the windows app...

(edit: update just came in and I see my chromecasts)

I don't however see my google home which should be considered a "chromecast". I see my Home Displays.

mchamuty
Not sure, I got the update ~30 minutes ago.
Quique_S

Well... that is some good news after so long. Thank you!
I will try it out and post some feedback here.

nord_a

Good that it is finally fixed! However, I have the problem that I only find the Cast-units that are screens from my Spotify Desktop. If I use my phone I see speakers as well such as Google Home and CC audios. It should to be a problem of 2,4GHz vs 5GHz since the screens I find are on different ones...

Any ideas?

henq

For me on Windows 10 it works perfectly. I can see my:

- Chromecast Audios

- Google Homes

- Nest Displays

- Phones

- Computers with Spotify

Finally!