Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Country] Launch Spotify in Romania

I think that given the current alternatives:

- Zonga

- Deezer

- Apple Music (in the not-so-distant future)

Spotify would be wasting a chance to get further into the eastern market if it does not launch in Romania as well. There are already a lot of musicians from Romania on Spotify, which means that securing licensing agreements couldn't have been that hard. Furthermore, following the example of deezer which comes bundled with Orange voice contracts, respectively zonga and vodafone, I think that Spotify could seize this opportunity to secure a deal with Telekom and either bundle their services or just outright open here as well. It makes a lot of sense especially since Spotify opened in Hungary and Bulgaria as well. The expansion would only be natural and it would also further drive down the hated piracy phenomenon in the balkans and eastern europe. In the 21th century on a competing market, spotify's ease of use, multiplatform, streaming quality and array of artists would ensure a switch over from the other services to spotify. I was told by a Spotify support representative, a few months back that it is planned to launch Spotify in Romania as well, however, somehow, those plans changed, and the "official facebook page" was taken down, and now, the official position is that nobody knows when this is happening. I only want to know the truth, and use this service without resorting to all sorts of loopholes to enjoy it. 

I think it's time people in my country are treated the same way others are all over europe. There's bad seeds everywhere, but I don't think everyone has to be held accountable for the actions of the few. If you demand respect, you should show respect.

To people that want to support my idea: Please give it a kudo and make sure to share this with all of your Spotify buddies ! 🙂

Thank you !

Updated on 2018-06-16

Hey there!

Spotify is available in Romania for a while now. 🙂

Comments
meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it
Updated: 2016-08-05

Hey everyone, Spotify is launching regularly in countries around the world. Please keep an eye on the Spotify blog or signup here to be first to hear if we launch in Romania. We hope to see you soon!

thedarq

It's not quite like that. As far as I can see, everything here is a popularity contest. And by having to use a proxy to create a username to be able to vote, you're just making sure this idea will never see the light of day. I find it distasteful that Spotify choses to adopt romanian artists, has no problem to make money off of them, but thinks it difficult to solve legal issues related to content distribution in our country. Isn't that convenient. Netflix understood why launching in all countries is good business, why can't Spotify ?

SpiderByte

I think Spotify only wants to go to countries that are rich or have a lot of people and so Romania, with its poor and declining population is not very attractive.

thedarq

That's really bad business model right there. As long as you're present in a large amount of countries, where other services are present too, and you offer people some relevantly priced alternatives to what they got, they might surprise you. Romania is not poor at all. Have you seen the type of phones that are being bought and sold here ? I'd definitely not call that poor. There's lots of smartphone users who would jump in, especially the younger demographic, who already use the free account. But yeah... it's all for naught if they keep people away from trying out the free version. You catch more flies with honey after all...

SpiderByte

Romanian GDP per capita is only $9000 which is less than half of other European countries such as Germany or Sweden. Most of Eastern Europe does not have Spotify, but Bulgaria seem to have it so it should probably come to Romania as well.

thedarq
Romanian GDP per capita is only $9000 which is less than half of other European countries such as Germany or Sweden.

Spotify launched in Indonesia in march, 2016, and their GDP is like 3000, which is 3 times as low as the Romanian one. I don't really think GDP is the real issue here...

Just bring the service to ROMANIA

laasjaana

Any time soon? 😞 Been waiting for this for a long time and I think I am not alone in this...

thedarq

No you are not. If you have friends that want to use Spotify, bring them over here and hit that vote button folks ! It's the only way this thing is happening ! Smash that VOTE button like there's no tomorrow guys !

Maybe we could kindly invite Spotify with the help of the Government or some of their representatives. An official invite is the best we could get. Anyone agrees?