Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Option if Spotify links should open native Spotify app or Webplayer

Seems like Spotify keeps pushing this issue aside because not enough people are complaining about it. I've actually seen a good amount of posts on the community boards about it but none of them seem to have gained traction with the powers that be, claiming its a non-issue and the post gets closed. I disagree, wholeheartedly.

Please bring this option back! I don't use the web player... ever. And, I don't want to now have to start copying and pasting the links into spotify app. Call me lazy. The advanced settings used to have the option to have links open in the desktop app. But that option has recently disappeared. Seems like a very obvious and useful feature, and just strange to suddenly remove that functionality. 

My friends and I are always trading spotify links via text and emails and it's incredibly frustrating that it now doesn't automatically open in the desktop app like it used to. If I say pretty please, with a link to a cherry on top, would you consider this a legitimate request? 

Updated on 2021-02-11

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one.

You should now have the option to open song links directly in the Spotify app!

Cheers 🙂

Comments
Prilo

My friend constantly sends me Spotify links. I can't fathom why they would change this when the standalone client is far superior to the web client. Please fix this

thboerman

Hey Spotify, please do something about this. There have been several threads on this forum about this idea and it sucks that every time I get a link to a Spotify song it opens in the web player. Because of this, I prefer to use youtube to share music. You can update the web player all you want, but I'm not going to change to a web player variant of your app. Please do something about it, listen to your customers! 

rsuriano

I hope they add this sometime this decade. I can't believe they take so long to fix these issues. It could be fixed in literally an afternoon of work.

kristanreed

Oh good lord, this problem has been going on for YEARS. How hard can it be to solve? I have never ONCE wanted to open links in the browser, when it should be obvious that the desktop app is open and logged in. It's very frustrating to have to manually go to the app and type in the song name and artist, when it should just be a simple case of clicking the shared link to play the song. 

flamingspiral

Please allow this. 
It's so annoying having multiple versions of Spotify open when someone sends a link. 

This stops me from wanting to share songs and stops me from wanting to click on links.

ISpotMeIfYouCan

Why isn't this the standard behaviour? If someone has the desktop app installed, why would that someone ever want to open a link in the web player?

AdamDam

I think that this is a good idea! I don’t use the Web Player either, and would rather not have Spotify links open it when I have the desktop app already installed; so I think that an option to choose whether to open Spotify links in the desktop app or Web Player would be quite useful.

Neld91

Please make this happen. Just in the past year, I wasted so much time opening Spotify links, copying the title to the app, search, and start playing...

Westy87

I finally got sooooooo so so sick of the stupid web player opening when my friends send me song links that I came looking for a solution. HOW is there not a setting for the app to open with these links???

mrsuperguy

Hi folks, I've just been trying to work out if this was possible myself. Given that it's no longer an option in the native app, does anyone know of any alternative ways to make spotify links open in the native client? I know android already is able to detect when you're opening a link that is associated with an installed app, which I'm guessing is at an OS level.....

I've actually been frustrated for a while over exactly the same thing with steam. when people post steam store links in discord, there's no way i can get it to open in the steam client and if i wanna do anything with it in browser i have to sign in or i have to just manually search for the thing again in the client.