Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Exclude selected Playlists from Taste Profile and Discover Suggestions

I play music off Spotify for my bubba to fall asleep to. This is typically classical/meditative relaxing style tracks. Since she sleeps 4 times a day this type of music is getting a LOT of playtime but is not representative of my music taste. I'm finding my Discover Weekly (which I LOVE by the way) is moving more away from my music and more towards the classical/chill out stuff I play for the little one. 

Would be super cool to be able to mark a playlist to exclude it from the Discover algorithm.

Thanks!

Updated on 2023-02-09

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that Exclude from Taste Profile feature is now available on all platforms. There's more info about the topic in our Newsroom Article. 

If you'd like to give it a try right now, follow the steps below:

1. Select the playlist of your choice. 
  2. Tap the three dots near the top of the playlist.
  3. Select “Exclude from your Taste Profile.”

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community 🙂 

Comments
cellerby

Spotify does not care about or monitor this community.  If you want to see change on this or any other issue, reach out to them directly and repeatedly.  We have no voice with Spotify, even as paying customers.   

Email them, open bug tickets, do anything you can to have a voice, just know they'll likely ignore it as they have done with this post for MANY years.  They've been super clear about not caring about their customers.

pixelpatron

Ya spotify THIS!!!! I use sleepy or rain music at night and my discover weekly went from being awesome to a bunch of sh*t that puts me to sleep. I USED TO LOVE the songs spotify recommended...not so much anymore. 

RenanTorM

Plan

Premium

Country

Brazil 

Device

Poco X3 Pro, MI Stick TV, Desktop (PC)

Operating System

Android 12, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

For a long time I use some playlist with sounds of rain, sounds of the sea and etc, to sleep and study, but the interesting playlist created by Spotfy that unfortunately includes these sounds, in my experience I use these sounds for specific purposes, this way I wouldn't want to listen to a daily playlist with a podcast and some songs that were formed based on my taste.

In this way, want to know if there is a way to hide these playlists so they never enter another playlist created automatically by spotfy.

WillyEspacial

I guess nobody from spotyfy uses discovery week and sometimes goes to the gym or uses it to sleep.

Private Listening is very poorly designed to use and you have to continually set it every time you use it. I hope they at least fire the ux designer for such a shoddy design.
It can't be that hard to make a playlist not count for the track, what a bunch of lazy programmers my god.

NotHet

Plan

Premium since 2017

Country

USA

Device

Various

My Question or Issue

My wife has been playing "the wheels on the bus" remixes for our kid. While I appreciate the musical tastes of a 2 year old, its completely destroyed my "Discover Weekly".

I pretty much used Discover Weekly exclusively. Its now fart songs, duck tails, and sexually explicit material I am sure a teenage boy would get a kick out of. Completely inappropriate for a child, totally garbage suggestions for an adult.

How can I fix this? As is, my Spotify subscription is totally worthless to me and sexually inappropriate for my kid.

Katjeh85

My kids also use my account to listen to their music. While I understand I can switch to an account of their own, this is just not feasible when for example in the car. Could there therefore be an option to enable a filter on kids music which I’m sure is already categorised? You’d for example ene let it and any kids music is not taken into account for further music or playlist suggestions, as well as wrap up.

bedarvik

I listen to "Main Stage" on my Garmin while running with the effect of having club music dominating all suggested playlists. I'm not interested, in the least, of listening to club music outside running so being able to exclude that particular playlist would be fab.

thiswholecity

+1000 to this.

There's two key scenarios where this matters a ton to me:

1. Listening to music for my kids. For as many years as Spotify Wrapped has existed, it's included in my top artists and genres music that I played because of my children. KID LISTENING DOESN'T COUNT, it's not part of my "taste" in music.
  2. Listening to something for reasons other than "I like this." This is diverse, but it could be listening to an old song because "lol remember how bad this was?" or putting music on for an event that's good for that context, but not anything I want more of in my daily listening. I've literally opted to not listen to a song in scenarios like these rather than risk it showing up in "because you listened to..." or anywhere else influenced by any of the algorithms.

Here's what I want specifically:

An option on any song, album, artist, or playlist to the effect of "Never use for recommendations, history, or Wrapped."

Jeremy0192

Like many others I listen to spotify in sleep for ambient/sleep sounds - this skews all of my top artists to only sleeping artists vs. regular active listening artists

jadbat

My Discover Weekly has been useless for as long as I can remember because it's so polluted with the lofi music I play in the background while I'm working. Now it's infiltrated Wrapped and my new Your Top Songs playlist, meaning I can't really enjoy these features. I would honestly give Spotify even more money for the ability to exclude a playlist from recommendations and Wrapped.