Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Please add a "Not Interested" Button

As the title suggests, it would be useful if Spotify had a "not interested" button like YouTube does for videos. I have been using Spotify for many years and still receive a lot of recommendations for playlists and podcasts that I am simply not interested in. One such example is "Learn Korean and Korean Culture" by jerry. I have no interest in learning Korean whatsoever, so it would be useful for me to remove recommendations such as these.

Updated on 2023-06-14

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the support and feedback you've given to this idea!

We have some exciting news to share with you: in the mobile app, it's now possible to remove content recommendations from the subfeeds (Music and Podcasts & Shows) of your Home screen by tapping Not interested in the context menu of the cards:

Novy_0-1686755794208.png

The content you mark as "not interested" will instantly be removed from your subfeed and won't show up again. Any other songs/albums/episodes by that artist/podcast show will also be filtered out from future recommendations.

After tapping Not interested, an Undo button will pop up at the bottom of the screen for a short time so you can revert the changes.

Keep in mind that this feature is gradually rolling out, so if you don't see the button in the context menu of the cards, we'd recommend making sure that you're running the latest version of Spotify. If you're having trouble with, or have any other questions about this feature, feel free to reach out in the relevant Help board here.

Thanks again for helping us make Spotify better. We're always striving to provide the best possible user experience and your feedback is always appreciated.

Comments
peterpan3

I actually get Apple Music for free from my phone provider, and have been exploring and it is so much better at recommending and also REjecting recommendations. I'm also exploring YouTube Music for 4 months now and it's also very good!! their suggestions are actually on point.

Sadly after over 10 years of using Spotify instead of getting better, it has actually gotten worst. It's sad to see how they recommend just some random selections of music and podcasts. As if they recommended whatever is more convenient for Spotify and NOT the user.  Also after reading that Spotify was creating music with AI (Artificial Intelligence) and promoting that to lower their operational costs im not surprised if that is part of it.

Option is available for episodes I haven't listened to yet but isn't available for a podcast that I've finished and no longer want to show up on my show list even though I'm no longer even following it. If I'm done listening to it, why is it still there???

Novy
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2023-06-14

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the support and feedback you've given to this idea!

We have some exciting news to share with you: in the mobile app, it's now possible to remove content recommendations from the subfeeds (Music and Podcasts & Shows) of your Home screen by tapping Not interested in the context menu of the cards:

Novy_0-1686755794208.png

The content you mark as "not interested" will instantly be removed from your subfeed and won't show up again. Any other songs/albums/episodes by that artist/podcast show will also be filtered out from future recommendations.

After tapping Not interested, an Undo button will pop up at the bottom of the screen for a short time so you can revert the changes.

Keep in mind that this feature is gradually rolling out, so if you don't see the button in the context menu of the cards, we'd recommend making sure that you're running the latest version of Spotify. If you're having trouble with, or have any other questions about this feature, feel free to reach out in the relevant Help board here.

Thanks again for helping us make Spotify better. We're always striving to provide the best possible user experience and your feedback is always appreciated.

MrBue

Yes, the button is there, but unfortunately this statement is not true at all!
I don't know how many times I have already clicked on podcasts with "not interested", but they are displayed over and over again and also suggested in "your shows" and "podcasts for you". It's just completely unnecessary.

pixelmonk1

what **bleep**.. the developers just aren't getting it.

CAPS:

I DON'T WANT PODCASTS, FRESH FINDS (FOR MUSIC I'D NEVER LISTEN TO), LGBTQ ARTISTS, RAP, COUNTRY, ETC.    I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO GO INTO THOSE GROUPS AND INDIVIDUALLY CLICK "NOT INTERESTED" ON EACH AND EVERY PODCAST, FRESH FINDS ALBUM LGBSDFSOUDF ARTIST, RAPPER, COUNTRY ARTIST, ETC.   

I should be able to REMOVE completely any and all references to podcasts, audio books, fresh finds, and so on.    Think about it.  If I go INTO Podcasts and spend hours saying I'm not interested in each and every podcast, the algorithm thinks I'm interested in looking for other podcasts since I spent time looking at podcasts.

Lastly, make this work across all platforms.  Code smart.  Code once. Use a unifying platform and dataset, ffs.   

Spotify developers should be embarrassed by not being able to institute such an easy fix.  BE EMBARRASSED.

leroybrock

I just tried reinstalling the app, logged in, and checked. No such option was present. I will continue to stick with Apple music.

sidambhire

This is not implemented well. I was trying to get rid of some recommendations but they are persistent.

I'm an atheist and I still get a lot of recommendations regarding religious songs and podcasts.

ericsville

Can the "Status: Implemented" by removed from this thread? The status update from 6/14 totally misses the mark and is not what people are asking for. It does not work for desktop, it only is accessible from the "Music" and "Podcast & Shows" tabs (which no one uses), and it doesn't include all the podcast and music that appears in the "for you" sections of the home page.

Edwin71

So, the podcast section on the homescreen displays 8 shows on top (small icons), half of which I don't follow (and I'm thus not interested in), but there is no way to remove them. Why not?

Also the filter setting is still not sticky. Most of the time this would be "Unplayed", don't you agree? But each time you go in it defaults to "All". Sigh!

FoxxSau

Doesn’t work outside of the menu on the Home Screen. There’s an old podcast which hasn’t been updated in years that shows up in my Good Morning section and I have no way of removing it because there’s no “not interested” button on it. Since it hasn’t been updated in so long, it doesn’t show up in the podcast tab.