Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Remote control.

Hello,

It could be great to be able to remote control my computer Spotify app from the Spotify mobile device app. (iPhone un my case)

Now that Connect has officially been announced and started rolling out, I'll mark this as implemented.

Comments
WyndhamMisio

I use Remoteless and it works brilliantly.

The only downside is that Spotify refuses access to certain Spotify features like Discover, access to the Queue, and so on. These limitations aside, this is an excellent app which does the job with no fuss...

(I don't work for Remoteless, and am just a fan).

soldier9599

I use Spotimote and it is perfect. It is completely free and does everything that the mobile Spotify app does, except that it controls your computer's Spotify via WIFI instead of playing over the phone. Very easy setup, just stay up to date with the latest versions. I'm sure the developer appreciates it if you buy the premium version, but I'm pretty sure all you get extra for paying is a widget.

I would say Spotify should hire this developer to make the official Spotify remote, because it can't get much better than Spotimote.

Goodman
Status changed to: Implemented

Now that Connect has officially been announced and started rolling out, I'll mark this as implemented.

willzone1

Per, what if I want to control Spotify on my mac that's streaming to an AirPlay speaker (via AirFoil since Spotify doesn't do it natively) from my phone? Spotify Connect isn't a resolution to that scenario... Especially when Connect is limited to streaming to one speaker at a time (why is that?!) and I'm trying to get music throughout my house with multiple AirPlay zones.

ranster

I disagree that because of spotify connect that the remote idea is implemented.  Not even close. I have none of the mentioned hardware and most people have spotify on computers or tablets.

I think a fantastic remote would operate like this. I have spotify loaded on my computer and my iPads and iPhone. I would like to be able to bring up the spotify app on my tablet for example. Then I would be able to select which device I would like to play the music through. I would pick my computer since it is attached to my home stereo system. Then any song, playlist etc that I select in the spotify app on the tablet would be played through spotify on the computer. If i had one of my tablets hooked to the stereo running spotify i could control it from my iPhone or iPad by selecting it in the spotify menu.

I think you really need to either do this as a remote or come up with something else. I good usable remote would be a huge marketing advantage over other streaming music services.

Coulterneckar
So basically to be able to control the app running on your Mac with your iPhone you have to purchase another spotify app? If anybody knows away around this please let me know.

I want to use my desktop Spotify program to control my phone.  Is this easily possible?  

I have searched all over these boards and I can't really seem to find an answer.  I have tried different airplay programs and they don't seem to work.  

If they would bring Spotify connect to the desktop program this would be the easiest fix.  But I haven't heard any word of this.  Although, there is a tablet, phone and computer icon when using connect from your phone or tablet.  Maybe this is foreshadowing of things to come? Hopefully sooner rather than later.

blazicekj

Agreed, calling it implemented is misleading to say the least. I know you guys are working on it and it takes a while to roll it out along all the hardware solutions, but this will just create confusion and more threads.

flabbawabba

This is the one feature that Spotify lacks that keeps me at Rdio. My computer's audio jack is broken so I plug my headphones into my cell phone and control Rdio with my computer's browser.

Spotify's got a superior music library, good playlists that are easy to find, and now it's got a $5 student discount just like Rdio so I want to switch but I can't because of this one important feature.

Loopy

Implemented?

I think the OT had something completley else in mind!!

Do you guys from spotify ever tested Rdio? They have the great remote-feature we are asking for. Control the music from any device, no matter which one you use for playing!