Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle should not repeat a song until X% of the the rest of the playlist has been played

My starred playlist is 250+ tracks, yet when I shuffle play I hear some song all of the time and others never. Spotify should keep track of the play history across sessions. Once a song has been played, it won'tbe put back into the sample pool until half (or some other percentage) of the other songs are played.

Example: Playlist X has 100 songs. When on shuffle, as soon as song Y is played it is put "on hold" and won't be considered for play until at least 50 other songs have been played.

I get sick of hearing the same songs over and over and this is easily a fixable problem. I would also hope that this is a duplicate suggestion, but I didn't see anything.

Bart

Updated: 2016-03-29

Hey everyone! Recently we updated this idea: "Implement an actual shuffle function"

With this new algorithm you should see songs played in shuffle move to the bottom of the play queue between sessions. We'd like to collect feedback on this algorithm so if you have any comments please post them here. Thanks for your feedback everyone!

Comments
Tamme

I have the same problem with playing my own playlist (local files) on my Desktop (Windows).

Spotify is not playing 24/7 here but I giess there's no such thing as a memory in Spotify that knows which tracks have been played. It doesn't matter how many files I have loaded up, at this moment it's more than 2.000, a few months ago it was about 500.

Some tracks will be played almost every time that I use Spotify and some tracks are constantly ignored.

I fully agree with most of the people above, it should be fixed.

rednblu

Easy solution, @Tamme--

The following "process" will avoid all of those repeats.

* >> Randomize your playlist to a playlist named something like "Randomized".  <<

* Then cut from the top of that "Randomized" playlist to your Queue.

When you "cut to your Queue", you prevent repeats by removing those tracks from future "play"-- Until you RandomizeAgain to a new version of "Randomized" from your Original playlist.

As a result of the above "process", you can play each and every track in your playlist-- before getting even one repeat.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Implemented
Updated: 2016-03-29

Hey everyone! Recently we updated this idea: "Implement an actual shuffle function"

With this new algorithm you should see songs played in shuffle move to the bottom of the play queue between sessions. We'd like to collect feedback on this algorithm so if you have any comments please post them here. Thanks for your feedback everyone!

twilightsound

Do I have to make any change in the settings? I updated all of my devices with the latest Spotify app but yesterday I had the same effect that in a playlist of 1.700 songs 5-6 songs were played again after 4 hours....

Well, in general I think there was an improvement done - but at the moment I think it's still not perfect!

Also I have the fact that in my playlist of 1.700 songs I use every day I hear some songs also every day - and some not only once in a month? It should be a random thing of course, but sometimes I have the feeling that Spotify has his own personal favorites and present these songs to me daily! 🙂 

mpayne

I find it ridiculous how poorly the shuffle works on an application that I pay $15 a month for. SPOTIFY really needs to get their **bleep** together. I mean really how many reviews and "ideas" does it take to correct something that every other music application can do easily?? 

Jacobsonkvn
I have the same problem, and it seems from the forum that this is a genreal problem. I have close to 1000 songs saved. It's not in a particular palylist. It's just my list of saved songs. I listen to it while I'm driving, doing yard work, or having a party. I shuffle the songs to have a variety to what I hear. What ends up happening is that I hear certain songs often while other songs are played rarely, if ever. When I play my saved songs and hit shuffle, the variety should reflect the spectrum of songs I've saved, not just a handful. That's one problem. The second problem is that in one lisenting, I will hear some of the same songs twice. Granted, it may take a while to hear the same song, but if I'm having a party, I'd like the saved songs to not repeat at all. With close to 1000 songs, there should be no songs repeating. All the songs should play before any song repeats. Sometimes three or four songs will repeat while other songs never get played if I let it play long enough.
Metroareahomes

What I am noticing is that Spotify grabs the top portion (maybe 100 songs)  and shuffles them. I have 800 songs in the Playlist. My songs are in artist order so I listed to a lot of the Beatles and Black Crows. Never thought I'd get tired of these artists. So my work around is to play a radio station of my Playlist. It's random but the exact songs I selected. 

drooke
I too mostly listen to one big playlist of >600 songs. I find that shuffle results in a subselection of the playlist and then a random selection from within there, as such I end up listening to mostly the same songs.

If I kill the app then I get a new (different) subselection of the playlist and so new songs to listen to for a while but they soon start repeating again. For me the app will normally stay running in the background for a week or so normally by which point I get fed up of listening to the same songs!

I like the idea of shuffling the playlist once and then playing through each track before looping round. The random selection from the whole playlist would be a nice to have.
phaded

This is the 2nd idea that says it is implemented but i swear it still happens. one of the most annoying things trying to listen to a playlist on shuffle and a song comes on twice before you hear some songs even once

captglasspac

Now that the Spotify forums have changed, I cannot view past the first page of comments. There is no arrow or next button that I will load more recent comments. (I'm using Chrome browser Version 51.0.2704.103 m)

Why do most software companies have a compulsion to "upgrade" things that aren't broken? Why is this new forum better than the old one? Oh well.