Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle should not repeat a song until X% of the the rest of the playlist has been played

My starred playlist is 250+ tracks, yet when I shuffle play I hear some song all of the time and others never. Spotify should keep track of the play history across sessions. Once a song has been played, it won'tbe put back into the sample pool until half (or some other percentage) of the other songs are played.

Example: Playlist X has 100 songs. When on shuffle, as soon as song Y is played it is put "on hold" and won't be considered for play until at least 50 other songs have been played.

I get sick of hearing the same songs over and over and this is easily a fixable problem. I would also hope that this is a duplicate suggestion, but I didn't see anything.

Bart

Updated: 2016-03-29

Hey everyone! Recently we updated this idea: "Implement an actual shuffle function"

With this new algorithm you should see songs played in shuffle move to the bottom of the play queue between sessions. We'd like to collect feedback on this algorithm so if you have any comments please post them here. Thanks for your feedback everyone!

Comments
meahtenoha
Status changed to: Implemented

2015-02-19

Hey guys! We're changing this idea status today as it's reached 100 kudos. 

Currently if you listen to one playlist the whole day, the whole playlist should be played without repeats. However, this idea focuses on no repeats between sessions or devices. If we have any updates on this we'll post them here first!

ceci_rodriguez

This is too accurate! I always make a queue instead of hitting shuffle because I always hear that one song. I'm getting sick of it. 

eriksantos2011
Let me make this very clear spotify. This is the one thing holding me back from upgrading to premium. The same reason i NEVER listen to the radio anymore. You play the same popular songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I have 2 playlists both of which don't have even 100 songs in them. I don't work on the weekends so i spend most of them playing games all day with spotify playing on shuffle. And from those playlists i just hear the same songs played multiple times within a couple hours. I shake it off and say to myself it's fine. The song I really want to hear is coming up no worries. A whole day goes by and nothing. So many songs in my less than 100 song playlist that i did not hear even once. Why is this s complicated to fix spotify?? Why do i hear the same songs so many times within a few hours but a whole day goes by and there's all these other great songs in my playlist that were not played by your shuffle methods? IOS shuffle has there **** together. I can play music I've downloaded from iTunes on shuffle and never hear the same song twice untill every song has been played once. Seriously, all it does is take the list of song. Mix it up as if it were a deck of cards and play the newly mixed list of songs. Is that too complicated???
eriksantos2011
Let me make this very clear spotify. This is the one thing holding me back from upgrading to premium. The same reason i NEVER listen to the radio anymore. You play the same popular songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I have 2 playlists both of which don't have even 100 songs in them. I don't work on the weekends so i spend most of them playing games all day with spotify playing on shuffle. And from those playlists i just hear the same songs played multiple times within a couple hours. I shake it off and say to myself it's fine. The song I really want to hear is coming up no worries. A whole day goes by and nothing. So many songs in my less than 100 song playlist that i did not hear even once. Why is this s complicated to fix spotify?? Why do i hear the same songs so many times within a few hours but a whole day goes by and there's all these other great songs in my playlist that were not played by your shuffle methods? IOS shuffle has there **** together. I can play music I've downloaded from iTunes on shuffle and never hear the same song twice untill every song has been played once. Seriously, all it does is take the list of song. Mix it up as if it were a deck of cards and play the newly mixed list of songs. Is that too complicated???
rednblu

SPOTIFY HAS NO User Interface.  So you have to do 100% of your User Interface outside Spotify.  For example, in Excel you should Randomize your playlist-- and then copy your randomized playlist directly into the "Play Queue" of Spotify.

.....  >> And from those playlists i just hear the same songs played multiple times within a couple hours.

Amen, brother!  It is the same everywhere in what is called "Spotify"-- that is because there is NO User Interface to "Spotify"-- there is no steering wheel-- so where you go is in circles.

If you take responsibility and work 100% of your Spotify User Interface outside Spotify, you can get zero repeats until each and every track has been played in a nicely randomized order.  All you have to do is 1) Randomize in Excel outside Spotify and 2) copy that Randomized playlist directly into your "Play Queue"-- then when you restart Spotify, you will start replaying exactly where you left off-- both in the current track and down through the rest of your playlist without once getting one of those GodDamned repeats that you get everywhere all over Spotify if you use anything inside Spotify to select your "Play Queue".

You will get 100% user satisfaction if and only if you implement 100% of your Spotify User Interface outside Spotify-- because-- there is zero User Interface in the desktop Spotify app.  Dig it!

Duckdammit
I got the same problem
jamie_f

Yup. So frustrating I came to find a place to complain about it. 😉 I always notice it if I pause a shuffled playlist then go back to it after a few minutes or hours.

fredaj

I have 1067 tracks in my playlist and I'm lucky if it plays 50 of them without repeat. Most of them I NEVER hear Smiley Frustrated

Kydix

Very good idea !

I use spotify in my car using shuffle option but I heard the same songs every time i drive !

Very annoying

Michowski

Is there any update to this? All the idea's mentioned are what's needed. No repeats until you hit a certain percentage played or it will restart if you hit shuffle again or click a song to play.