Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Add Display Name Option for User Account

I understand that Spotify won't allow you to change the username as it is used in internal stuffs of Spotify, but how about adding a Display Name field to user's account settings that by default is the same as username and it's not used for anything else but to search the user and display it's name. That way, the user users can change it as they like ?

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

You can now add or change your display name!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.
There's more on this here, and here.

Comments
Kitty50

!!!!

gui0

When is this feature finally going to be implemented? @236 votes it's safe to say a lot of people would like the option to change their display name. Especially in a time where more and more people are pulling out of facebook and thus unlinking their accounts and hereby their display name synced from that account.

MusicNonStopXX

@Nicu

I support your idea!

That would be the solution for me.

I chose a boring name years ago - now I wanted to change that to my common Internet nick name, but Spotify would not allow it.

I hope Spotify hears our wish! 🙂

Stephen_

[Also posted at the much more popular idea [Account] Change Username, currently listed as "Not Right Now"]

For those who don't have a Spotify Community profile, use the,

"Help us improve your account experience. Did you find what you were looking for?"

section of your Spotify account page to say "no", and in the follow up question indicate that you were looking for a way to change your username.

---

This would be great for privacy and professionalism. I have an old username from when I was younger (before Spotify started giving people randomly generated usernames I think) that shows up in the Spotify window and share links to my account and playlists. It's the reason I don't share my Spotify account with people. If Spotify internally had a lookup/translation table it could use current usernames as it already does but display custom usernames on all user facing and public parts of the product. I'm imagining something similar to Instagram's username system.

I would have just signed up for a new account by now but don't want to lose my custom Spotify generated playlists or have to wait for Spotify to relearn what kind of music I like for my recommendations. I also have an extensive playlist library that would be a pain to move over manually.

It's silly that this hasn't been a feature for the last five years, but no use crying over spilled milk.  No more numbers!!! Let me choose my display name!!!!

ToastyToastie

Pleeeeeeease please please please. I hate the fact that I cannot edit my display name. 

I am very glad I did not initially create my Spotify through Facebook,  I really don't like the idea of having my full legal name being stuck as my display name. 8/

asciiM0

To any spotify employee (if they do exist here):
Please mark it as a "very good idea" AND realize it!

itsyourmom

How is this still not an option? It's 2019.. hello!

Aurora14

This would be fantastic. Keep the internal number string for whatever you need, but I would absolutely love having the ability to set a custom display name for general social purposes

Treigns99

IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO LET US CHANGE OUR USERNAME AT LEAST GIVE US A DISPLAY NAME.