Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Add Display Name Option for User Account

I understand that Spotify won't allow you to change the username as it is used in internal stuffs of Spotify, but how about adding a Display Name field to user's account settings that by default is the same as username and it's not used for anything else but to search the user and display it's name. That way, the user users can change it as they like ?

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

You can now add or change your display name!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.
There's more on this here, and here.

Comments
RedelRick

Great idea. You can change your display name on just about any software platform (including Facebook) so I don't know why Spotify hasn't implemented something yet. If I have to create a new account just to change my display name, I might as well shop around to see if I can implement the same solution with Spotify's competitor's, for a lower price.

RedelRick

Oh the irony of being able to change my username in the community, but not on my listening account. This has to be the result of some sort of agreement between Facebook and Spotify to deter users from breaking the link between accounts. I just cancelled my Family subscription - will be implementing the "create a new account" solution with a competitor. #controlWhatYouCanControl

RedelRick_0-1578413784309.png

asciiM0

@RedelRick: This may be a solution to few people out there... But most of the spotify users have tons of playlists, follows, likes and so on they don't want to recreate on another platform. 😞

RedelRick

@asciiM0 I totally agree. I don't want to leave Spotify as I have 10 years of history on my account, but if they're going to handcuff me into either linking my Facebook account or dealing with a "123456789" username, despite thousands of users wanting another option, I'm going to vote with my money and leave.

It would be 1 thing if development was in progress or it was a brand new request, but they have denied this request multiple times - effectively ignoring users.

asciiM0

Not only the spotify developers effectively ignore users:
I wrote a message to one of the moderators here and didn't even get an answer.

Everything you do here seems to be vain endeavor.

MeerkatFM

This is redicilous...

So now I have to close my account and cancel my subscription? Can I create a new account with the same e-mail address or do I have to go to the competition?

GiveMeABreak

It's 2020 and we still can't change our display name yet? Seriously? But it's no problem if we link a Facebook account? Absolutely ridiculous. 

Can you get off your asses and write a few lines of code so we can do something as simple as this that basically any other platform would allow you to do?

Dr_Laudanum

This is a basic function everywhere else, but not on Spotify... Pretty sad.

asciiM0

So sad, so true!

And even worse: In this forum they can see exactly what their customers are begging for... what they really need or let's say want to have to be happy. And they just give a sh**... not even providing one single reason for their 100% imcomprehensible decision not to implement what is a simple standard everywhere else. If at least they would be smart enough letting us know WHY they put it on "not right now" - nooooooo... that knowledge could prevent the shitstorm here - obviously they prefer that?! Poor & pathetic!

* facepalm *

lloxton

With a username like "22thumpx5fwwgozvlcb556avy", it is very difficult for me to share anything or get friends to find me.

I refuse to connect anything to Facebook.