Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Add Display Name Option for User Account

I understand that Spotify won't allow you to change the username as it is used in internal stuffs of Spotify, but how about adding a Display Name field to user's account settings that by default is the same as username and it's not used for anything else but to search the user and display it's name. That way, the user users can change it as they like ?

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

You can now add or change your display name!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.
There's more on this here, and here.

Comments
jhob101

I recently un-linked my facebook account and now I can only been identified on spotify by my ridiculous string-of-numbers username. 

I can't believe that there's not already a display name option. 

With increasing concerns over privacy I can see that more people will want to unlink their accounts from facebook. 

This really is a basic feature spotify should get on to but I bet they won't as they want to encourage use with a facebook account so that they can mine and disseminate your facebook data to their partners.

Spotify is a premium service and surely that should come with the right not to have your data mined.

asciiM0

This has to be announced in bold letters:

Finally after so many years of begging & waiting (more or less) patiently we are rewarded with the long-awaited feature of changing the username.

If I get it right, it will be rolled out with the next update: spotify's announcement on facebook.

Arrggghhh

This has been addressed, although only for Android users?

It should not longer be marked as "not right now" as it is partially implemented.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/Can-I-change-my-display-name/ta-p/4906315

Sure would be nice if we could get ALL clients/apps to work the same. Searches, sorting, edits to profile...all different in each app. Bleck..!

9zdhripuh7xe6
What kind of system is this?
It's a very bad system. Changing username should come.
This feature should come.
This feature should come.

Spotify. Please don’t do me dirty. Please let me change my display name. I really don’t want to have to make a WHOLE NEW ACCOUNT. I put TOO MUCH work into my playlists. 

RedelRick

Finally fixed!! I'll turn my Premium membership back on now. I tried a couple competitors (G and A) but they were both terrible compared to your product, so I'm happy to be back.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2453033251628620

somelaniesaid

I'm hoping Spotify will reconsider the low priority. I and a couple other friends (no clue who) have deleted and unlinked the Facebook accounts we signed up for Spotify with. We are now default avatars and a gross string of numbers each. This honestly bothers me every time I use Spotify. Without being able to identify who we are, the social aspect is really eroded. Being able to change your displayed name from a database-friendly ID and update your photo seems like social platform 101.

jhob101

...and so Spotify is brought kicking & screaming up to date with the novel 'display name' feature, I'll stop comparing you with CompuServe now.

Thanks for implementing it anyway!

Stephen_

🎉🎉🎉THANKS SPOTIFY! 🎉🎉🎉

Usernames now don't show up in share links, on your playlists, or on your profile (important for people with awkward or private usernames from before the random username system was implemented), and you can login with your email instead of your username! 

Melody
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

You can now add or change your display name!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.
There's more on this here, and here.