Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Add Display Name Option for User Account

I understand that Spotify won't allow you to change the username as it is used in internal stuffs of Spotify, but how about adding a Display Name field to user's account settings that by default is the same as username and it's not used for anything else but to search the user and display it's name. That way, the user users can change it as they like ?

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

You can now add or change your display name!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.
There's more on this here, and here.

Comments
BMP3

Apparently this is now possible for individual accounts, but NOT for family premium. wth????? C'mon Spotify, it's the 21st century.

asciiM0

@BMP3
That's not correct. I am family premium and can change my display name. So there has to be another reason why it's not working for you.

xitricite

Edit: If you face the same issues, update your display name again. I'm not sure mine worked the nth time I tried

__

When I tried to change my Display name it set my user ID the random string as my name on the desktop and mobile apps. I'm angry because I don't remember saving my display name yet it changed it to this impersonal name? I'm disappointed. What can I do to have my display name show up on those apps? For reference, I'm on the premium family plan

asciiM0

I don't think it's a question of "how often you change it"... I guess you just have to wait a while (maybe even some hours or a day) until the change walked through the whole system. I changed mine once on my mobile and it took many hours until the change arrived on the desktop version. But it arrived! 😉

plc6qgerfji3xp5

Hey I am trying to change my display name and I can't seem to find the so called display name anywhere. I've looked it up and everything tells me to click the name next to my profile pic but i can't. What is going on, I'm so sick of my 378ehg39f74nrv83 username. I'm part of a Spotify family accountif that makes a difference

Stecla

I cannot change my display name/user name.
I have a free account where I had set my name in the passed.
Have access to a premium account as well and I can't change that one either.

blindrabbit

Same problem here. There is no such thing as a display name. Not in the android app, nor windows app nor website. I have a family account, too.

blindrabbit

Funny thing is, while entering my community name here I thought "will that be my display name eventually?" So I went back to the app to check that. Well it did not happen. What happened instead is that suddenly I was able to change my user name. Coincidence?

Feature already implemented, please ignore this idea. Sorry.