Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Real Time "Listen with Friend(s)"

There ought to be a feature where I can click on a friend and listen in real time to whatever they're listening to, not just their playlist. If they change songs, my Spotify changes with them. 

With this feature, a person could remotely DJ if they wanted, or you could just know that you and a friend are hearing the same thing at the same time. 

Updated on 2020-08-04

Hi everyone!

We're happy to announce that this feature has now been implemented.

You now have the option to join a remote Group Session with all your friends and enjoy the same tracks simultaneously no matter how many miles apart you might be.

For more information be sure to check out our Newsroom article and our Support site page

Comments
86smopuiM

Woohoo!  Finally here, please express our gratitude to the team that did this!  I'm not seeing the new experience yet, is there anything I need to do (reinstall the app?) to get it to show up?

brianelete

MattSuda Thanks for the detailed explanation! I think I have the new feature, but it might not be fully functional yet, as itsguih pointed out sometimes the people who joined the session could change the track for their own but it was not reflected on the host's device, and the host's track change overrode the non-host's track change.

I am really happy that we are on the right track (pun intended) despite these small issues. I hope as we leave the beta phase all the edges will be polished and we can enjoy listening to music together or far apart in a synchronized controlled, well-featured way. 

I would like to thank all community members and Spotify employees who helped create this awesome feature! 

MattSuda

@brianelete  @itsguih 

Thanks for testing it out and posting your feedback. It helps the product team know what to improve.

I did some more testing and when I had a Group Session with just me and 1 other person (playback on all devices) it worked pretty great, but when I had 3 people in the same Group Session sometimes some people were out of sync when they changed the songs like you mentioned. Please remember that this feature is still in beta testing so it might unexpectedly not work right or could change later on. I suggest to keep trying out and using Group Sessions over time as it will help get this new feature improved. Hopefully things will all be smoothed out in the future.

@86smopuiM This new feature is still rolling out. You should see it soon. When you see that green button as shown in my previous post, it means you now have it.

Schmills

Add a feature of it here Spotify to get people on-board:
https://www.spotify.com/nz/connect/

minkia29

whit discord you have dthis function bro

brianelete

Yes but a native feature is always better than using a 3rd party software. Imagine you want to listen together as you travel on the bus and your friend is running in an other city (random example, don't judge haha). I don't want to open discord for this, and I'm not even sure it works on mobile.

qwer1yy

i’m pretty sure this exists in beta. if you go to the devices tab when you’re listening to a song, theres a code a friend can scan. you can always send them a screenshot of this too!

brianelete

qwer1yy Do you mean Spotify app? Yes we know it exists, if you read the comments you'll see we are discussing this. If you mean Discord app, I'm not sure, but I don't want to use that anyways.

qwer1yy

ah, yes, sorry

Elena
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2020-08-04

Hi everyone!

We're happy to announce that this feature has now been implemented.

You now have the option to join a remote Group Session with all your friends and enjoy the same tracks simultaneously no matter how many miles apart you might be.

For more information be sure to check out our Newsroom article and our Support site page