Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Real Time "Listen with Friend(s)"

There ought to be a feature where I can click on a friend and listen in real time to whatever they're listening to, not just their playlist. If they change songs, my Spotify changes with them. 

With this feature, a person could remotely DJ if they wanted, or you could just know that you and a friend are hearing the same thing at the same time. 

Updated on 2020-08-04

Hi everyone!

We're happy to announce that this feature has now been implemented.

You now have the option to join a remote Group Session with all your friends and enjoy the same tracks simultaneously no matter how many miles apart you might be.

For more information be sure to check out our Newsroom article and our Support site page

Comments
Rebellem

Hi Elena, we have tried several times to explain that in this thread there are two very distinct requests:
1. Group listening (eg DJ function);
2. bug fix of the friend's feed function which changes the track at random after the first track of your friend.

Please consider that point 2 is totally ignored to date and deserves a new thread (which I tried to open but was mistakenly closed as a duplicate of this).

In fact, to listen to what a friend of mine is listening, it would be enough for me to click on the "play" next to his name in the friend feed, without having to create listening groups and complicated things, but the bug does not allow us to do it.

brianelete

Rebellem I mainly agree with you but now I'm just tired explaining what we want to Spotify, and I don't want them to take this half solution away if we complain more 😄 The best would be of course what you suggested that you just press play on a friend and it "just works". But I think there should be a group feature as well for more control.. This idea ticket system is broken in my opinion, marking distinct ideas as duplicates and they not understanding what each idea means.. I don't know what should be the solution. I might apply for a job interview to Spotify so I can get things done properly 😄 

d-roam

I'm so glad this was finally implemented! I personally am happy with the implementation and think it fulfills the request just fine. I've tried it out a couple of times with a friend and it worked great! There's a slight amount of delay, but only a second or two -- not enough to make any difference when using this for its intended purpose (remotely listening along with a friend).

Sure, it would be nice if you could just "tap on a friend" to listen with them, but I actually prefer having to invite someone in order for them to listen along with me. I wouldn't want to just broadcast what I'm listening to for anyone who follows me to see and hear.

I think as long as Spotify is diligent to clean up any bugs and glitches (for example, occasionally my song would skip forward or backward a few seconds, even though my friend didn't touch anything), then I'm happy and satisfied! Thanks for finally delivering on this, Spotify!

brianelete
d-roam You said: "I wouldn't want to just broadcast what I'm listening to for anyone who follows me to see and hear." But that's what you are doing all the time when you are not in a private session. Your followers can see your activity. The feed is delayed tho and the tracks don't change automatically but that is the only difference between what you actually meant and how it is working right now I think.
MrMeireles

Finally, it was implemented. I wonder how much I have influenced that. It doesn't matter, I like Spotify and I'm very happy now. 

MrMeireles

Finally, it was implemented. I wonder how much I have influenced that. It doesn't matter, I like Spotify and I'm very happy now

brianelete

I'd like to think that we all have influenced it somehow 🙂 Let's hope they fix the bugs and make it better not worse.

Elena

Hey there folks!

Thank you for the comments and feedback on this. We're so glad to hear you're happy with the feature.

We'll be keeping an eye on the comments here, so feel free to let us know about any specific issues you might be experiencing.

We'll make sure to pass on all your concerns to the right teams here while the feature is still in Beta.

@Rebellem Thanks for bringing this up, the point you mention that when you start a song from the Friend Feed you only get to listen to one track is an expected feature of the app. It allows you to quickly start playback of a song you see being played by a friend, but does not connect to their listening activity.

The current group sessions allow for both parties to agree they want to start listening together and actually control their sessions. We understand how a quicker way to start group sessions can be useful and we'll share your thoughts with the team.

We'll be here if there's anything else we can do for you.

Cheers!

kapatino

Would love for Group Session to be available in Chicago for mobile and desktop apps

rraizen

This is great, but it only allows up to 5 people to listen along - not exactly enough folks for a dance party!