Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Way to prevent duplicates in playlists.

I have big playlists, and would like a built in way to prevent duplicates from occuring in my playlists.  This could be an option to prevent, or select/hide duplicates.

Update 2015-03-17

Hello everyone. Spotify here. With the latest release of the Desktop app, this feature is now available across Desktop, iOS and Android. Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 16.42.29.png

Comments
Jackdude3006

On the app this is already an option. However, what i see happening all the time is i have the same exact song at least 3 times in 1 playlists. The reason is because the song is in different albums. If spotify could make it so they would reconize the exact song is already in playlist, it would say something like: "Duplicate song, Continue to add?"     This would help us all who make big playlist a lot.       -Jackdude3006

rednblu

There are at least three completely different kinds of "duplicates"-- 1) URL the same, 2) [ Artist and TrackName ] the same, 3) [ TrackName ] the same.

>>> what i see happening all the time is i have the same exact song at least 3 times in 1 playlists. The reason is because the song is in different albums.

Exactly.  Most filters for "duplicates" check only to see if the URL is the same; if the song is on another CD, Spotify gives the song a different URL even if the song is exactly the same sound bytes for the whole duration of the track.

Will this  Linked site  remove your "duplicates"? -- if so, you might suggest that the Spotify developers insert the logic in that site as an option.  You wouldn't always want to prevent duplicates of [ Artist : TrackName ] -- sometimes the Artist records a jam session with twice the TIME value in the Playlist display, but two different performances may have the same TrackName on the two different CDs.

That is, the "Prevent duplicates" must have options that you, the user, set somewhere to distinguish what you want to define as the "duplicates" to prevent.

There are at least three different kinds of "duplicates" in the Spotify database--

1. URL the same,
  2. [ Artist and TrackName ] the same,
  3. [ TrackName ] the same after you remove suffixes such as "Remaster", "Live", "Radio Mix", . . . . and convert TrackName all to lower case to detect that "Song" and "SONG" are the same TrackName.

WillStrohl

Overall, I would like to be able to right-click and see all of MY references to the song.  I want to see what playlists I've added it to, if I liked it, and maybe even a couple of interesting stats (like number of plays, how much I like it in comparison to other songs I play, etc.).

neurofibro

looks like this now works in desktop version 1.0.1.x

not sure if it skips the same track from different albums though.

mettalium

All you have to do is click the top of the song list and it puts them in order, so you can then delete duplicates.

The problem with an automatic no duplicates is that sometimes you have songs of same title but varying length of playtime, eg. Live songs are sometimes longer and sometimes shorter than a studio recording.

I have even found that studio recordings can vary considerably when they are from differet albums.

Qrama

Maybe you guys want to try out this DeDupelicator I once found.

Easy to use.

http://paulvi.nl/deduplicator/

greatfurt

This feature is currently available on the last OS X version. Yeap, finally!

http://spotify.com/download/

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.16.57.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 16.24.49.png

robrich64

Hi there!

I just upgraded my Spotify and now it works fine. I get a warning (skip duplicate or add anyway). This works great!

Robert

Rorey
Status changed to: Implemented

Update 2015-03-17

Hello everyone. Spotify here. With the latest release of the Desktop app, this feature is now available across Desktop, iOS and Android. Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 16.42.29.png

shelldass

I am very happy with this feature