Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Way to prevent duplicates in playlists.

I have big playlists, and would like a built in way to prevent duplicates from occuring in my playlists.  This could be an option to prevent, or select/hide duplicates.

Update 2015-03-17

Hello everyone. Spotify here. With the latest release of the Desktop app, this feature is now available across Desktop, iOS and Android. Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 16.42.29.png

Comments
gccengineering

I have some bad news, that feature does not work, and when you try to copy and paste music from another playlist, it still does not prevent duplicates from occuring.   I also am having a big problem with copying and pasting playlists especially from very large playlists.  And I also don't like the playlist song limit.  Why can we have playlists bigger than 8000 songs?  

Gertrudes
Rene01

Hi @Gertrudes,

Did you know there is a special section for sharing playlists over here:Playlist exchange

Regards,

René

xjr739

Why does this say "implemented"? I just discovered lots of duplicates in one of my playlists.

Rene01

Hi @xjr739,

I understand the confusion.

If you add a song which is already in there, you get a message, but you can still add the song if you ignore the message. Maybe that's what you did.

Also, the same song can be hard definition, is a remix of a song or a live version the same song? Or a radio edit? This is what happens to me now and then, I add the album version of a song and the song from a various artist collection album. Check if it's really the same version.

Regards,

René

xjr739

Yeah, I often get that message that warns me of duplicates, but they still slip in somehow. And upon further review, they are from different albums but still sound like the same version of the song (not live, for example). So I gather that it isn't a perfect system, but....

By sorting your playlist by title you can occasionally "audit" your playlist and delete the duplicates. 

xjr739

@Rene01 I forgot to put the @ thing in my response...

Plokit

I can also say I get lots of duplicates from getting a song from the album, from the single, and from a compilation album. I wish Spotify could somehow tell it's the same song. Gets super annoying, especially when it happens a lot in a big playlist. 

If you have a huge playist and you feel like you're hearing a song more than others, you probably are. You probably have duplicates in the form of the same song, except it's from a single or compilation album. 

Rene01

Hi @Plokit,

I agree, sometimes it's obvious that 2 songs are the same and still they will be seen as different by spotify. Probably the song has some kind of an id and if the publisher added the song with a different id, they will be seen as different. The algorithm could be a bit complicated to find out if it is the same song. It should take the artist, title and song length into account but that's not solid always.

The only tip I have for you, is to sort the songs by name and check if you find duplicates.

Regards,

René

headey

"this song is already in your playlist"

- I think this popup only appears when the track AND ALBUM match?

If I try to add the exact same recording but from a different album the popup does not popup does it?