Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments

Just checking in to see if Spotify got a rectocranialectomy. Nope... SSDD.

Jmccarley

Please make this happen! I’d love to be able to go on a bike ride with just my watch and earphones!

Tobeuss

Spotify, where are you on this? Still no update? Your consumers would appreciate a little honesty, even if you just tell us to go pound sand. Anything is better than nothing.

richno

Can´t believe this is not a higher priority for Spotify. Am seriously considering moving to Apple Music for this feature alone.

mseiter

Ok Spotify I am done.
Just canceled my Premium subscription. Apple Music is not that bad at all.
If you finally implement Apple Watch Offline playback I'll come back, otherwise I'm gone forever.

Bardo

Well, you guys should monitor this. People are going to start leaving in droves. Not sure what’s going on at corporate or in the dev dept, but there are a ridiculous number of comments here, and there’s no reason for Spotify not to have the Apple Watch streaming feature added. Your customers have invested in you by spending their hard earned income in the way of monthly subscriptions. If you’re not going to provide the basics that other streaming services do, then it seems like that loyalty is not bilateral. You know how hard it is to get a customer back once they’re gone. You’re better off keeping us around.

Andrew_bk

I would love to see offline playlist support on the apple watch, so that I can go for runs or to the gym without my phone. I appreciate Apple and Spotify have a business conflict and have sympathy for Spotify's position. I don't work for either company though so it is not my fight. I'm just a customer (Apple watch owner, Spotify Premium subscriber). And as a user, I would like to please be able to use my watch to play offline spotify playlists without having to carry my phone with me. I've been discouraged by the absence of the feature, especially now that other apps (pod cast apps, and now pandora) are adding this capability. Thaks!

ugahill

Yeah, I just cancelled premium because of this, and deleted my Spotify apps.  Apple Music does basically everything Spotify does once you figure it out, and I love how easy it is to sync Radio with favorites in my library that are years old.  My ability to go for a jog with just the watch is amazing - I won’t go back to Spotify.  

hlukewilliams

I bought an Apple Watch specifically to use it while running with my AirPods and without my iphone. Obviously I’m pretty upset to find out that I can’t do this (especially after the Apple store associate told me I could). I will most likely buy an Apple Music subscription now to remedy the situation and I’m not paying for 2 services, so Spotify just lost another customer. Which is a shame since I’ve been a supporter of them for the better part of a decade. 

jefffdy

https://9to5mac.com/2020/04/02/spotify-launches-siri-support-for-apple-watches-running-watchos-6/

I’m in disbelief. WHY would you add support for Siri on watchOS before offline playback on Apple Watch? I understand it’s hard to implement - but playing Spotify on the watch directly is only useful when you don’t have access to a device and have a cellular connection, which is basically never except if you’re going for a run, which is the whole reason why people have been asking for this for four years now, but you still haven’t implemented it ... there are several third party apps which have implemented it. What stops you from doing so? I don’t recall anyone asking for Siri support on the watch where they could have offline playback instead.