Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
jrice

This is just sad, honestly. I've been a Spotify Premium User for years, converted friends and even upgraded to a family plan to get my girlfriend on board. We just got Apple Watches for the first time, and we love them. However, I can't even put into words my disappoint that there is no offline support for music in the app?

What is the point of making a watch app if you still require the phone. I know the Spotify Design team probably spent hundreds of hours discussing how it is made for those who wish to use an app that isn't on the phone so why on Earth do I need my phone to use it??

You can download music to the iPhone using the native app, so why is it any different for the watch app? The entire library is constantly synced, and it's not like without the phone connection the app fails or anything, so what is the excuse? I would understand if Spotify said, "Apple does not allow us" or "Our system is not built in a way to support it".

I have always been so proud to be a Spotify user because they're leading the industry - especially with consumer experience, but it has been almost 4 years and people are still waiting on this?? 180 pages of comments I mean this is insane. Developers have rebuilt systems for less.

If it's an issue of whether the time and money is worth it, well - there are almost 10,000 users alone who are so passionate about this they were willing to search this topic, vote and comment here. Who knows how many who want this feature and are not tech-savvy enough to google it and find this specific forum. Lastly, you are losing actual customers that care about your business to other services; Veteran customers who are begging for this feature and are now switching to your competitors for something so trivial, on top of it all you increase the cost of plans.

Not to be dramatic, but the way Spotify has ignored their customers over this tiny thing is baffling to me. Now I am forced to make a very difficult decision for the future: Is it worth paying $16+ for 2 Spotify accounts with no offline support using my new device? I am certainly not going to pay for 2 different services and offline support is very important to our health goals.

I really hope Spotify is taking this thread seriously.

danverbiest

They don’t take it seriously. At. All. Look at all the stuff they’ve added or released over the last year or so. They don’t care. It’s all about podcasts for them now. 

Just move to Apple Music and be done with it. I did. Music is music at the end of the day. 

Cv5

Dear god, please implement this functionality. The community has been requesting this functionality for YEARS now. The API has been available since watchOS 6.

You are way behind your competitors on this front, and now that Apple Music is offering hifi music streaming at no extra cost as well as offline Apple Watch functionality my allegiance to Spotify is wearing thin. 

ax1m

I’m stopping my Spotify subscription for Apple Music. Deezer announced offline listening on Apple Watch today, it was the trigger for me. Spotify is not serious at all.

lou138

Yeah… coming from a HomePod voice control  suggestion with 3500 votes and no solution, seeing this topic has 9k with same absence of outcome was probably just enough for me to understand Spotify does not give a shite

But hey,  great that you had enough development capacity to constantly update UI on  monthly basis 

kwiecien92

It's ridiculous that smaller competitors already have this functionality but Spotify can't commit the resources to build it in

With Apple and Amazon adding HiFi quality tracks into their standard plans Spotify really needs to up their game to bring basic functionality rather than constantly refreshing our home menu layout

aleben

It's just ridicolous for a company of that size to not prioritize a basic functionality required but almost 10.000 users minimum.
Not even answering is even worse...

krispy4

I come back every so often and see comments questioning why Spotify won't commit the resources to update their functionality.

This is another friendly reminder that Spotify already had an app that allowed offline functionality years ago! They bought out the developer and killed the app. It's not that they aren't willing to commit the resources, it's the opposite. They did, in fact, commit the resources, but they did so to ensure that offline functionality is NOT offered on the apple watch. I hope this helps people who are still holding out hope. When a company will spend sums of money to ensure that customers do NOT get what they want, then that company doesn't care about you.

lou138

Thanks for this @krispy4 that actually change the optics of all of it. 

I only wonder why would that decision making be beneficial to the company. It’s not a zero sum game. It’s a service after all and me using multiple apple device does not mean I inherently and bluntly choose to buy everything apples come out with. I get that Spotify and apple have a beef (aka court cases), but why to use your customers as a hostage? 

Mihail
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2021-05-21

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out over the upcoming weeks, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it. There's more info 
here

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.