Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ability to select and copy artist, album and song title as text

Especially useful for non-English titles, but give the option to select and copy the artist, album or title of a song as text. 

Updated on 2023-05-01

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Dallasluers

As a dyslexic, this would be helpful, but there is a way around not being able to copy and paste, at least on most newer phones. Take a screenshot and through the magic of modern technology you should be able to copy and paste most text off the screenshot. 

67rllv_7t-94l

it's unbelievable the amount of truly basic and primitive functions spotify lacks, things like being able to select text, something so basic that computers 30 years ago had it

or the ability to stop the desktop app from playing after a podcast episode is finished, this is so basic winamp had it back then in the 90s

and even on mobile the timer function sucks because we need to set it to end of the episode each time we play a new episode, it should stay on memory for as long as I wanted

the podcast episode order also doesn't make any sense, it goes from the newer episodes to older episodes, and most podcasts that upload episodes progressively make the order from older to new, we can't change other than making custom playlists, which obviously sucks and is a terrible workaround for a monumentally simple problem like giving the option to choose the order in which the episodes are played by default

all of this and many other basic functions are missing, this app is pretty bad imo unfortunately

MaximusicExplorer

A suggestion for an implentation on Destop and on the web: make text selection possible via Alt+Click. This is actually the standard way to handle text selection in actionable elements like links for most (all?) major browsers, including Firefox and Chrome. Although when websites want to implement drag&drop, they often drop this default functionality, perhaps because they just disable text selection altogether.

If you are on Desktop, try selecting a link on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotify. If you just click and drag, it moves the link and you can bookmark it, open it in a new tab etc., but if you alt+click and drag you can select it and copy it using Ctrl+C or by right-clicking and selecting "Copy".

I can't think of any intuitive version of this shortcut on mobile, though, so it may require a different implementation.

Android_of_Borg

Hey Gary, 

Here's how you can grab song title information.

On the Desktop browser or Desktop App version, 

Pick the song and add it to a New Playlist.  

Then go to the list and Edit Details.

You will be able to grab the song title and hopefully Artist info too.

I haven't tried this on the Mobile version but I imagine it should work there too.

Hope that helps,

Android.

AninOnin

The fact this isn't standard functionality and you have to have a work-around to get the song or artist title (especially for Arabic or Chinese tracks) is just bewildering.

jepsar

Even if the song title is in English, it would be great to be able to search from it. Copying would work, but a link to search (on Spotify) would also work for me. You can copy from the search query to optionally search elsewhere if needed.

alexocolon

We need this please! It's pretty inconvenient having to copy a Song link, put it on a browser, click credits, just so that I can copy a Japanese artist's name.

empath77

This eminently good suggestion is three years old now and still not executed upon. What's the holdup?

As a user, I feel ignored and erased when Spotify repeatedly ignozes good suggestions.

GuiltMachine

This would be awesome thing!

Android_of_Borg

It's insulting to see Spotify let this idea drag on and on, doing nothing, but call it great.   Maybe chat, comments and user ratings belong in the main app itself so they can't ignore us