Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ability to select and copy artist, album and song title as text

Especially useful for non-English titles, but give the option to select and copy the artist, album or title of a song as text. 

Updated on 2023-05-01

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
API8000

This is a simple Idea, but would be helpful to have an option on the share menu where you can copy a text version of the Song Title and Artist Name to the clipboard. 

Currently, the only way to do this is to share a twitter link, then copy the text from the twitter submission page.  However, now when I try to create a Twitter Link, I get a strange redirect loop that fails to resolve the page. (That is actually an issue you should look at as well)

An example of how this feature would be useful is if you are on a forum and want to share the title and artist without a link by pasting it into the chat box of the forum.   

Peter
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-05-25

Hey @API8000,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new idea. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Yonn

For GOD'S SAKE LET ME COPY. I can't believe this idea gets no traction. This has been bothering me for years.

Use case is especially apparent when listening to music from countries with non-western alphabets.

mchope57

It would be awesome to have an option when right-clicking a song to copy the title or artist + title so you can search for it (Lyrics / Translation / Music Video or whatever), because sometimes you can't type it with your keyboard, e.g. when it's a foreign language.

You can display the artists and see the title with an option when right-clicking a song, but unfortunately you can only copy them in the web version.

osornios
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2020-10-12

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

R3solu43

Please update the desktop app to support copy/paste for all text (or at least Title, Artist and Album from a given playlist).

Like other users mentioned in the inactive threads for this request, sometimes I'm curious about a song (could be in another language and I want the translation, could be that I want to go to the artist's wikipedia page, could be that I'm trying to find the lyrics, etc.)

In all of the above cases for Latin alphabet texts, simply re-typing the text in a browser is fine. But there are plenty of cases where the text isn't in Latin script and the user literally has to copy/paste since they don't understand the character set.

The current workaround of "share to Twitter, copy from generated URL" works, but it would be a huge quality of life improvement to simply allow copy/paste. Apparently this is something that used to work in previous desktop versions (maybe), but it definitely does not today. If this is just not an in-demand request I understand it not being acted on, but if there are non-technical reasons this keeps getting punted I think the users would appreciate knowing that this just isn't something Spotify wants users to be able to do so this stops coming up. 

Jacob
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-03-23

Thank you for bringing your feedback to the Spotify Community!

Your suggestion didn’t quite reach 180 votes in 6 months. Users can still vote on this idea - if it gets enough votes, Spotify will still check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Jose_M
Status changed to: Closed - Not Enough Votes

Updated on 2021-03-23

Hello there!

It looks like your idea was posted a while ago but, unfortunately, it hasn't gathered the minimum amount of votes to stay active in the Ideas Exchange (50 votes in the first 3 months). I'll mark your idea as "Closed - Not Enough Votes". You can learn more on how the Ideas Exchange works here.

Have a nice day 🙂

jshn245

Song names, artists, album names are all not copyable on desktop or on the android app. This is really frustrating for anyone who listens to music outside of their native languages. Particularly, when I listen to music in Japanese, titles are often in Kanji and unless you know the Kanji, all of this song information is essentially hidden from you. This makes it very difficult to ever reference this song, find the song lyrics or their translations, looking up the artist, etc.

This can be easily fixed in one of two ways:

1. Allow users to copy text from the "Show Credits" window. On desktop you right click the song and hit "Show Credits". On android, with a song open, you click the three dots in the top right corner and select "Show credits" from the options.

2. Allow users export song info as text from the share button. This is available on desktop from the right click context menu or on Android from the options menu on a song (three dots in the top right corner).

Currently, the only workaround is to open the web-player and copy it from the song credits there. There's no reason one shouldn't be able to do the same thing on the Desktop app that can already be done on the web player.

I'd very much appreciate this feature being implemented, and I think other language learners would appreciate it too. It would also be convenient for the general user for just finding more information about songs, since you can easily paste things into a search engine this way.

notsupossed

It amazes and frustrates me, that this basic, primitive option is missing on spotify desktop (windows). It is not possible to select and copy a song title. It is especially frustrating when you need to search for a complex name or a name in a different alphabet (spotify integrates performers from around the world afterworld).

A lot of times I wanted to search for a name in japanese or cyrylic alphabet and couldn't. You can only open a web page of a song in a browser, where you ALSO CAN'T SELECT AND COPY. 

I am really amazed that you decided to remove this function in a first place. Who complained about it? You can copy every selectable piece of anything that is ever displayed anywhere on your screen, except, apparently, song titles in spotify app.

I hope you agree.

Best wishes.

Przemek