Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Ability to block certain Genres

Similar to blocking an artist or certain tracks from appearing, but I want to be able to just not see anything of certain genres. I have zero interest in them, and all it does is annoy me to see them.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

It's worth mentioning that a Not interested button was recently introduced in the mobile app, which you may find intriguing, as it allows you to further improve the recommendations you get from Spotify. More info here.

Take care.

Comments
Yori

I takes you out of your mood . I don't even want tk see artist of these genres . I have zero interest in them. It feels like a less customized experience. Like they are pushing hip hop and rap on me.  Like those are the nlremore important listeners 

kresty

Makes me wonder about some of the choices if it's cheaper for them to stream some types of songs.

spotrochag

what has happened with this feature ? I would like to block anoying generes to really make spotify my own personal experience

spotrochag

please allow us to block certain geners

Yori
True, or if they are paid to
ViniciusFlaiban

Hi everbody, I would like to add some things to be considered.

I'am brazillian and because of that spotify keeps offering me playlists with brazillian popular music genres like funk, sertanejo, rap, which i am really not fond of. But what botters me is that spotify offers me those playlist just because i am brazillian, it assumes that i should like those music genres just because of the place where i was geographically born. I dont want to (because i love spotify) feel like this, but it could might be considered as prejudice, i somehow feel offended with those suggestions. But i know it is not what spotify meant, its just how the system works. I'm sorry for being rude, but i'm being honest and very objective. It seems that not liking a certain music genre is a crime, but we are humans, somethings we like some other we don't, it is not a crime to do not like something.

Another point of view is that there are a lot of good music around the world, and spotify keeps offering me more from where i came from, i want to know the good music of other places, not only the ones from where i have been born around.

Also, i need to point out that i am an Asperger, and what that matters to this discussion is that it have shaped my personality, and for good or bad, i have not grown much too fond of brazillian music and it takes me a great deal of patience to see theese playlists every time i open spotify.

So please

Spotify

Let us be able to filter the music genres we do not like, so that we can enjoy everything else.

nierka

There are cetain artists I hate to see in my sugestion list. Why i look to low IQ faces each time I start spotify if I am paying user?

kevinYVR

Hello all,

I wrote the Spotify CEO at [snip - Community Moderator edit] and perhaps you would consider doing this as well.

We don't seem to be getting anywhere venting on here. I'm assaulted daily by rap (and I decline to call it music) in my other genres. This is particularily loathesome as I never have a Gospel or country song inserted in my Chill, classical, and Ambient playlists.

Here is the response I got from Oskar Stal at Spotify...

"Hello Kevin,

Thanks for sending us your note. We indeed very much want for users to be able to provide Spotify with much more feedback about what they like and don't like about Spotify's content. So your wish is well aligned with what we want do to. Unfortunately I can't give you any clarity around when such a feature would appear and it looks like it might be awhile. Thanks for your patience and dedication. Pls trust that we're working as hard as we can to make the service better.

Thanks"
Juam18

This idea its very useful. I dont use any playlists just because i hate to be forced to listen some gender or artists. Its very anoying can't block nothing. If we pay to this, we need to have a good service... A button to block its simple and would make me not cancel my account.

kevinYVR

Again folks,

It occured to me that I was given a line of BS from the representative for the Spotify CEO.

They can currently ban for explicit language (odd because a greater percentage of rap is explicit!).

Give us the option to ban something due to genre then...like rap. I implore you all to write Daniel Ek the CEO of spotify.

[snip - Community Moderator edit]

Hello all,

I wrote the Spotify CEO at [snip - Community Moderator edit] and perhaps you would consider doing this as well.

We don't seem to be getting anywhere venting on here. I'm assaulted daily by rap (and I decline to call it music) in my other genres. This is particularily loathesome as I never have a Gospel or country song inserted in my Chill, classical, and Ambient playlists.

"Hello Kevin,

Thanks for sending us your note. We indeed very much want for users to be able to provide Spotify with much more feedback about what they like and don't like about Spotify's content. So your wish is well aligned with what we want do to. Unfortunately I can't give you any clarity around when such a feature would appear and it looks like it might be awhile. Thanks for your patience and dedication. Pls trust that we're working as hard as we can to make the service better.

Thanks"

Hello all,

"Hello Kevin,

Thanks"