Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
El0h1m
There's no hope mate.
Just ditch this if you can and go Qobuz for superior sound quality,'

I did this few months ago. Purchased some good DAC / AMP and I am in heaven now.

BTW. We have a thread about of how Low-Fi Podcastify treating us as a customers here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-Music-HiFi-Quality-Lossless-Streaming-16bi...
Samppa3

Yep, I know this thread here and I've followed from the start.
I don't have any standalone DAC..I use one in my cd-player. Marantz CD6005 has CS4398 DAC inside.
It sounds pretty good. I also have Marantz amp model of PM6007  and it has also AK4490 DAC but I haven't yet tested it.
For casual listening and testing of old/new music and recommendations from Spotify is sufficient for me..
But as I've tested it seriously on my hi-fi system, Qobuz, Apple, Deezer and Tidal almost any service that offers better quality codec, be it lossless or even hi-res, sounds definitely richer, wider and also has much deeper bass. The sound breaths more.
hans-jürgen

Deezer is currently rolling out gapless playback in their web player (not their desktop app yet). Two days ago they were at 50% and expect to be finished next week. It works for HiFi streaming in FLAC format and most tracks with HQ audio quality in MP3 format which had to be re-encoded for gapless playback first. See this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/deezer/comments/wpxvee/gapless_playback_available_on_the_web_player/

Gapless playback on their iOS and Android apps already works for some months.

Samppa3

Deezer has had gapless on iOS for years, but I still can't get why it's so slowly being rolled to Windows client?

Geepstar
What can I do with a badge?
jmimac351

Launch “Lossless” and I’ll sign up for Premium… I like your interface (Spotify Connect) and algorithm; however, I want higher quality, and there IS a difference.  Your interface has Apple Music beat.  Apple Music has you beat in SQ.  Right now I’m listening to Tidal via Roon on Magnepan 3.7i. Tidal has you beat in SQ. Tidal annoys me with their Hip/Hop, Rap onslaught…but it’s a Native service on my streamer.  Yes, there IS a difference.  

Look at all of the devices that Tidal goes out of their way to show they work with.  If you do this, you will OWN the space and probably put them out of business.  

WAKE UP.  You’re being lazy… it’s almost like none of the employees of any streaming services uses a competitor to understand how their own product can be better.  

ALL OF YOU SUCK in one way or another… and it’s so easy for one of you to dominate the market. 

maciek83

Any news on when better quality will be available? It's been more than half a year since last update?  Are there technical problems or licensing talks with record labels taking longer than you expected? I'm almost finished my Tidal Trial so I will probably switch to their service. Tidal Connect doesn't work as good as yours but they've got better shuffle algorithm and for same money I will get better music quality.

LawLee

Food for thought? Watch this video:

When Will Spotify HIFI Arrive? If Ever? - YouTube

hans-jürgen

@Samppa3 wrote: "...but I still can't get why it's so slowly being rolled to Windows client?"

I don't know, still don't have it in my Deezer web player, but the latest news is that they expect to be finished with the global rollout by the end of this week. Maybe they want to gather statistics if and how web player users change their listening behaviour when they get gapless playback, or if desktop app users switch to the web player.

[Edit on Wednesday morning]

I got it now, really a completely different feeling when listening to complete operas in HiFi audio quality, and the flow is not interrupted anymore. 😎

Sal1950

Near eight years down the road and still no lossless from Spotify.

This will be my last post as I've disabled my email notifications here.

I had Spotify for years and really enjoyed everything about it but after

this mess they made of going lossless and how happy I am with the

multich-Atmos offerings of Apple I have no reason to participate in anything

here.

Good luck to you guys still waiting.