Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
Samppa3

https://variety.com/2022/digital/news/spotify-q3-results-456-million-total-users-1235414241/
I think this proves what attitude Spotify has about Hifi and how or why they have overlooked the whole idea this whole time.

They surely know (or think they know) that plenty of people won't be moving to other service.

As the whole Hifi-launch date haven't yet been officially announced anywhere, they now can milk it and keep on the current situation for as long as they like to do so.

bzero

A friend of mine recently got the opportunity to meet Spotify's Manager for EMEA. When he asked him about Spotify's plan regarding HiFi, he didn't even understand, what he means by "HiFi"... I'm not surprised, that Spotify fully flies the wrong way with such people on board.

Spotify should have one goal: be the No#1 modern, top-notch-technology streaming company in the world, nothing else.

They should promote and help define standards worldwide.

Samppa3

Spotify Is Considering Raising U.S. Subscription Prices, CEO Daniel Ek Says, Following Apple and YouTube

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/spotify-raising-subscription-prices-1235414396/amp/

vaajy

The raise of a price is good only if it gets to artists. Hifi seems not to bother this company.

In my country, Finland, prices were on Spotify 10,99 since one year or so.

I can still get Spotify Premium for 10 going for a local store and buying gift card.

I'd like to see Spotify, when they actually care about music and when made more money from us.

Gave them all to artist we listen.

Samppa3

Definitely so.

I think the only reason for the price increase with adopting Hifi-quality to their service should be so that the artists/bands get more compensation for their work.

Seems like Spotify is just testing brand loyalty here..they might raise prices but not even give Hifi to us yet, as it still hasn't been officially acknowledged by them.

But I have no problem in moving to other service..as Qobuz is going to be cheaper and they do better compensation to the music makers but also Im definitely following how this goes on.

mctesterson

From the Variety article linked above:

“When our competitors are raising their prices, that is really good for us,” he said, noting that the company has raised prices more than 40 times in markets around the world.

Raising the subscription price in the U.S., the world’s largest music market by far, “is one of the things we would like to do and it’s something we will [discuss] with our label partners. I feel good about this upcoming year, and what it means about pricing for our service,” he said, without providing further details.

No mention about a price increase being an opportunity to increase compensation for the artists to create a more equitable, sustainable business model for all parties (including the artists who create all the content, customers like all of us on this thread, Spotify employees, label partners, etc.).

Instead, the vibe is more along the lines of taking advantage, raising prices because Spotify's competitors did first, and "that is really good for us. ... I feel good about this upcoming year, and what it means about pricing for our service." Not a surprise, but this guy is such an increasingly selfish (poo-poo), it irritates me that I ever gave a penny to his company.

I have to try again to convince my partner to drop Spotify in spite of slick connectivity feature.  Or wait until Qobuz releases their connectivity feature, in which case the competitive moat of Spotify will be almost entirely gone (unless you're a Joe Rogan fan, in which case, f-you for bolstering misinformation and conspiracy theories).

Samppa3

This article says there's some upgrades coming to the compensations:

https://www.billboard.com/pro/music-publishers-streaming-new-songwriter-royalty-rate/

Samppa3

mctesterson

Given the recent link (from Variety), I think the comment from him saying ""that is really good for us. ... I feel good about this upcoming year, and what it means about pricing for our service." left too sour taste here, I don't like how this has been said.

So, basically they could have saved this by giving Hifi without any price hike and then..maybe raise the price a bit to give more compensation to the people, to the artists and bands that have made the music. They definitely deserve better.

walp

@Samppa3 my thoughts exactly. Disgusting.

Samppa3

https://newsroom.spotify.com/2022-10-25/apples-anti-competitive-behavior-hurts-everyone-including-au...

Spotify's lonely cry about competition and of course they will blaim Apple as usual.