Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] No Ads in Podcasts for Spotify Premium users

I pay for my subscription. Every month for years now. The main reason I am a paid-for subscriber with Spotify is so I don't have to hear ads. As I have shifted my podcast listening from other providers to Spotify to bypass ads, both from the platform as well as integrated into the content.

I expect not to hear ads on Spotify. I understand there are ads woven into the actual content of the podcast itself, but for as big of a company and the amount of leverage Spotify has, I expect to not hear ads so long as I am paying for the service.

I reached out to Spotify and got this lazy, generic answer from Joy in Spotify Customer Support: “if you're hearing ads on podcasts using this Premium account. It's possible that the podcaster integrated that ads to their podcast content”. Thanks for breaking your back on that response.

I KNOW what the ads I’m hearing are. And I understand they can’t ask podcasters to export two versions, one with integrated ads and one without. What I expect from Spotify is to either implement metadata that tags the beginning and ending of ad segments and bypass them for us, Premium subscribers, or require podcasters to give metadata timecodes that Spotify can identify to bypass them AUTOMATICALLY.

Just to be clear, even if these identifiers are put into the content, I don’t want to have to pull my phone out to hit any sort of “skip ads” button. This is literally the ONLY reason users have Premium. So get rid of the ads. It’s actually very simple. And let’s not get started on how archaic it is to continually hit the “15sec forward” button to bypass the ads, first over shooting, then undershooting the duration of the integrated ad, only to have to make peace with hearing the last ten seconds of the ad. At that point it’s not servicing either party in the transaction.

It’s 2020. You are a huge company with a lot of leverage and a huge developer budget. I honestly can’t believe I’m even having to write this suggestion.

tl:dr - Spotify, I am a Premium member. You made a promise to me that if I became a Premium member, I wouldn’t hear ads. I’m hearing ads on podcasts. Integrated or not, I don’t care. You have the technology and power to fix it. So fix it. And make it automatic. It’s 2020.

Updated on 2023-04-15

Hey folks,

The Ideas section provides users with the opportunity to share their opinion on what features and app improvements can be developed, to make Spotify better. This idea however, in it's core fundamentals, requires to change how the Premium subscription works and what opportunities Spotify offers to Podcast creators.

As part of the Premium subscription, all music can be enjoyed ad-free. And while Spotify doesn’t play ads that interrupt the music listening experience of Premium subscribers, some podcasts may include advertising, host-read endorsements, or sponsorship independently of the streaming platforms featuring such podcasts.

Providing a way to circumvent those is not something that our Idea submission process can accomplish.

This doesn't mean that your feedback isn't heard and that this request couldn't be fulfilled by some other means in the future. On the contrary, this is being monitored and we invite everyone to share their opinion in a constructive manner. We will then ensure to pass it on to the relevant teams.

Please do note, that we do understand the overall sentiment and if the thread stops being useful as a source to track constructive feedback, we will need to close it for further replies.

All the best!

Comments
lamcrae

This. 100% this. When I started listening to Daily Wellness there weren't many ads that I noticed. Now it interrupts every time I'm ready to settle into the next calming or meditative section. Largely don't listen for nearly as long as I used to.

While we're at it, CHANGE UP THE MUSIC already. I've listened to the same batch of songs for months. Really, really annoying.

Lastly, take out the "Up next: A few songs" and "Take a break" tracks. No one needs these and, again, they are distracting and take away from the overall mood and intention of the playlist.

Thanks for hopefully listening.

LexiAB

I actually started listening to podcasts on Spotify because a few of the podcasters I like mentioned they get more revenue when listeners tune in via Spotify. So I feel torn–I really want to support the podcasters I listen to, but also, as a Premium subscriber, don't want to listen to ads. As Montesi called out, the experience of skipping over ads is also very tedious...I would love to not have to do the 15 sec forward, 15 seconds back dance...

If it's a question of revenue for Podcasters (which is maybe an optimistic thought), I would also be more than happy to pay an additional fee every month for a higher tier Premium membership guaranteeing no podcast ads. I understand when Spotify developed their Premium membership there weren't podcasts, and so this new use case might require a shift to the membership structure. I just want to throw my two cents in and encourage Spotify to address this issue!

HotGuac

Spotify has to be the worst services to listen to podcasts on. Second only to maybe Stitcher but I can avoid that one pretty easily. It's clearly a music service that's been poorly adapted to a podcast player. I only use to listen to one exclusive podcast that if it was available anywhere else I'd bounce sooooo fast. Spotify will play ads during the podcast as though it's another audio track. As a premium subscriber those shouldn't play. I've got no problem with ad copy read by the hosts during the episode. Those can actually be pretty entertaining. THIS IS NOT WHAT PEOPLE ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT. So far the official response has been directed at these ad reads. Fix this please.

tktaylor1987

Totally agree. Platforms are responsible for what people upload - this is why people can't post bootleg movies on YouTube or other inappropriate material. Not good enough for Spotify to just shrug and allow podcasts to be uploaded with embedded ads.

Kitty83338

Okay, so Spotify support informed me that the poscaster has the option to force us to listen to theirr stupid ads. I suggest that Spotify changees this, and does not allow the podcaster the option, or im not paying for premium anymore. In fact, i wont even do the free version. Im beyond irritated. My face podcaster has THREE 45 second ads at every break. Now i dont want to support them either bc that is overkill! Anyway, rant over. 

jitefa

Glad I found this page, I have been thinking about this issue for months and i can't believe Spotify has not yet taken action on this. As a paid customer i do not want to hear any ads at all, whatever product it is, music or podcasts (whether it's a signature spotify podcast or a 3rd party podcast). You literally have one of the most powerful tech team on earth and are the music streaming software with the most leverage on earth, and you're on your way to become a podcast leader as well... You definitely can make it change and offer a better experience for your customers (isn't that supposed to be your goal, to make your customers happy ?) 

sjohuvud

It's actually not a case of the podcasters sticking ads in their podcasts and Spotify turning a blind eye, as many here believe, and indeed the Customer Service might want you to believe.

Spotify are actually helping podcasters insert the ads. For example, I am a ten year Premium subscriber, I live in Sweden and listen to podcasts from Ireland. The embedded ads are in Swedish. This signifies to me that the Spotify platform is inserting region-specific ads into the podcasts. So Spotify is complicit here. See here: https://www.pocket-lint.com/smart-home/news/spotify/150667-spotify-is-introducing-ads-into-podcasts-...

It's all because they want to launch Premium podcast service, that is separate from the Premium music service: https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/6/21552822/spotify-podcast-subscription-service-survey

They want more of your money.

HotGuac

Nothing about the current podcast experience makes me want to pay for a premium podcast service.

Also I want to reiterate, I have no problem with podcasters doing their own ad reads in their episodes. That's just money going directly to the content creators that I like. If I don't want to listen to those I'll pay for their Patreon or whatever. I don't think Spotify needs to monitor that.

I'm guessing the podcasts aren't getting 100% of the revenue for the Spotify embedded ads and that's what bothers me the most. Spotify getting a cut of ad revenue by playing ads on my premium subscription. It feels like double dipping. 

wilbefast

+1

It was my understanding that premium meant no ads: I can understand the need to keep the lights on when people are using the app for free, but it seems a bit unfair that paying customers get "monetised" too. I'll be using other applications for my podcasts until this is changed.

amostad

I as a customer paid for a ad free service, for them to then start inserting adds into podcasts are unacceptable.

Spotify will use everything it knows about you to target podcast ads - The Verge

Spotify is introducing ads into podcasts – even for Premium use (pocket-lint.com)

Until this problem is resolved, I will gladly accept any recommendations on similar podcast services.