Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Playlists] Add the same song to multiple playlists simultaneously

There is no reason why Spotify shouldn't have a functionality on at least the desktop app where you can drag one song into as many "selected" playlists as you want and have that song added to all of them at the same time…

Here's a little more info to back up this request:

I'm, for one, the kind of person who obsesses over music, and a huge component of that is the way in which I organize my playlists.

I believe it is probably safe to say that most people wish their music was better organized, but the primary reason why they aren't is simply the amount of time it takes to put together quality playlists. Instead, what most people end up with are a small handful of enormous playlist hundreds, if not thousands, of songs that have no rhyme or reason to why they are in the same playlists.

To avoid this dilemma, I have spent hours and hours sorting through all my favorite songs and making different types of playlists that they may fit into. One thing I learned early on is that a particular song is likely going to fit into multiple playlists, and this is where the problem lies and the primary reason why most people avoid making well thought out playlists altogether.

In order to add a song to all the playlists I want, I have to sit at my computer and continuously drag a new song I want put into different playlists into each individual one over and over again which, when organizing dozens or even hundreds of songs, can take an insane amount of unnecessary time. And that is if you happen to be creating and organizing playlists on the desktop app… if you are trying to do this on your phone, you might as well forget about it - it would take you an hour to add 20 different songs to 10 different playlists.

That is why I believe Spotify should add a function (starting on desktop and eventually moving onto mobile like they are likely to do with the "folders" for playlists) in which a single song can be added to multiple playlists at the same time.

Attached is a picture originally posted by a subscriber named anaraee who had requested this a few years ago, but apparently wasn't able to get enough traction then... hopefully this time will be different.

Screen%20Shot%202015-10-14%20at%202.00.12%20AM.png

Updated on 2021-06-04

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
detmer14

As a follow-up, I've been using this new feature for over a month, and it's great!!! Wish they would have had it years ago, but glad it's there now.

And it's enough that I decided to pay for Spotify Premium to show my appreciation. Take note of that Spotify.

It has saved me so much time. So much time. I love that I can see ALL of the playlists I have a song in. And can easily remove them from ones I don't want it in anymore, and add to any others.

Sure there are some issues with the functionality that I hope they workout over time. Sometimes when I hit "Done", it says there were issues adding them - but I notice that it still usually gets all the changes right. I've also seen a handful of times where Spotify must get in a weird funk with this feature and does a semi crash - the app doesn't crash, but the playlist add feature crashes and I have to start over adding/removing from playlists.

I've always used my desktop as my main tool for organizing music and adding songs - my phone was simply for *listening to those playlists. And now my phone has become the primary method of adding songs.

Thanks again Spotify!

eschurr

I am writing this just to thank and congratulate Spotify for implementing this functionality on Android phones. It's done very well... It's easy to add a new song to multiple lists, and if you hit the checkmark on a song that's already in your library, i love how it bubbles up the playlists that the song is already in to the top of the list so you can easily remove it from them, too, if you want..

Well done, Spotify!  I was seriously thinking of leaving for another service but with this new functionality you're keeping me as a customer!

detmer14

FYI, I believe in the last week or so, they rolled this out to Desktop Version. I now see a similar feature on Desktop - kind of a combination of the add to playlist function they previously had, but now with green checkmarks for individual playlists.

I still like using mobile for this because some of my playlist names are long and don't show up well in the Desktop dropdown lists. The mobile version currently shows at the top all playlists that the song was already in. There is no such feature on Desktop - you have to scroll through your playlist folders individually to see if a song is already part of a playlist.