Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Echo] Play multiple Speakers at the same Time

I recently got six(6) of the 2nd gen Amazon Echo Dots and placed them everywhere in my home. And I realized the policy of Spotify that is limiting to only one device to play music at the same time bothers me a lot when I set Spotify as a default music libary. For example, if one of my family members asks one of Echo Dots in his/her room to play music A, then music B on another Echo Dot I'm listening to stops playing.

I know there is Spotify Family Plan but my kids can't join that because they are just young and they don't have any email account yet. And also I don't want to create an account for them yet.

I believe Spotify could make possible to play the same music over multiple Echo Dots under the same network at the same time somehow even while it's not possible to play music on other multiple devices. Maybe by verifying some factors like if it's for Amazon Echo Dots under the same network under the same account.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks, Spotify staff here.

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 500 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is our blog for news updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and give us feedback in our Idea Exchange.

Comments
WantMooreMusic

Is there any sort of update on this (specifically with regards to playing the same music on multiple devices, i.e. multi room)? Is this even something that can be managed on the Spotify side or is this an explicit restriction by Amazon?

compsci23

I purchased Spotify premium to play multi-room audio on all speakers in my house using Alexa.

Turns out Spotify is the one music service that does not support multi-speaker when Amazon Music and Pandora do. Looks like I should cancel my subscription to Spotify your original post was in 2016 and its still not fixed as of October 2017.

Henrikberggren

Please fix this 🙂

LisseeGE

Ditto this suggestion: 

Spotify play to Amazon Alexa grouped speakers is being denied. I'm assuming it's a multiple device issue. In reality it's still a Spotify account being used to play one song at a time. It appears your system is aware it's  multiple devices therefore could possibly know they are grouped devices. Spotify-please consider allowing play to grouped speakers

PheasantsAgenda

This idea would keep my as a spotify premium payer for the rest of my life if implimented and I only have speakers down stairs. This is exactly the sort of feature that people looking into smart home devices think already exists and it's a huge disappointment on spotifies part that it doesn't!

ashfran08

Spotify is the best, would be a great feature for those who like to entertain in multiple rooms.. also a good advertising opportunity as friends will often try to change the song and will have to say the word ‘on Spotify’ each time

open24seven

I understand that there will be a Limitation per device, that makes sense but would be a great feature. Having the ability to play the same track in every room ( using Spotify) in your house multi room party style without having to buy Sonos would be a great advantage..... echo £89  Play one  from Sonos £199. 

dojohnso

I know when you group HEOS speakers you can play to the group with Spotfy and it works nicely. With Echo's multi-room feature being so new, it's hard to say if it's a limitation of Spotify or Amazon in terms of who defines and accesses the groups of physical devices. 

That said, I'm ditching my HEOS because they are old and won't get the Echo integration like the newer models, and will likely get the new Echo(s) just because I already have dots. Pandora is able to play to all echo's in a group. I hope whoever is responsible is able to figure out the integration for Spotify as well.

I wouldn't ditch Spotify just for this reason. They've been the game changer in this market since day 1, many years ago. There's more to come, I'm sure of it. 

dojohnso

Followup: 

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170829005421/en/%E2%80%9CAlexa-Play-Music-Everywhere%E2%80%9...

"You can now synchronize your music playback across Echo devices to play songs from Amazon Music, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, and Pandora, with support for Spotify and SiriusXM coming soon."

Spamberler

I think this should be high priority if Spotify don't want to lose customers to Amazon music!