Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Amazon Echo] Play multiple Speakers at the same Time

I recently got six(6) of the 2nd gen Amazon Echo Dots and placed them everywhere in my home. And I realized the policy of Spotify that is limiting to only one device to play music at the same time bothers me a lot when I set Spotify as a default music libary. For example, if one of my family members asks one of Echo Dots in his/her room to play music A, then music B on another Echo Dot I'm listening to stops playing.

I know there is Spotify Family Plan but my kids can't join that because they are just young and they don't have any email account yet. And also I don't want to create an account for them yet.

I believe Spotify could make possible to play the same music over multiple Echo Dots under the same network at the same time somehow even while it's not possible to play music on other multiple devices. Maybe by verifying some factors like if it's for Amazon Echo Dots under the same network under the same account.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks, Spotify staff here.

We wanted to post an update as this idea has reached over 500 votes from our users.

We’re always working on improving the Spotify experience across platforms, but we’re afraid we don’t have any further information to share at the moment.

We typically don't announce integrations with third parties in advance. The best place to keep an eye on is our blog for news updates about any such partnerships.

Thanks for continuing to share your ideas and give us feedback in our Idea Exchange.

Comments
wwise

Why hasn't this been figured out yet? I got a premium family account so my 7 and 8 year old could use Spotify kids on their own Amazon Kids echo dot speakers, but only one account (main adults account) can be used, and only one speaker can stream at a time.  It looks like this has been an issue for sometime now. What is the status on this?

wwise

Just cancelled my Spotify Premium Family subscription and moved over to Amazon Music Unlimited Family plan.  This works like a charm, I'm told Apple music works as well. The amount of frustration this caused trying to get my 7 and 8 year old set up to stream music on their Echo speakers. The "work arounds" being offered by Spotify to customers already paying for a family subscription is ridiculous, and the fact this issue has been around for "years". Unreal.

Stroica
Happy this worked for you... 😉
For some of us, the amount of local artists available on Amazon are very
low... kind of stuck with this blo..dy sp0tify subscription.
MossimoPrince

After putting up with this for far too long I have cancelled my spotify subscription and have moved over to Amazon Music. You really need to sort this out Spotify!

leroybrock

It's pretty wild that this basic request that Spotify work as well as other streaming services goes ignored.

rdb2703

This is a deal breaker for me.

I have about 10 echo devices in the house and a hi-fi system. 

Before I bought my hi-fi system I'd been with Amazon music for a while which worked across all my echo devices at the same time.  When I purchased my hi-fi system I found out it can take 10-20 seconds to cast a track to the hi-fi system.  So then I tried Tidal....which works well on the hi-fi system but is not supported on echo devices in the UK!  So then I tried Deezer....which is hi-fi quality and works across all my echo devices at the same time.. It's flaky getting it working on the hi-fi system though.  Again it takes about 10-20 seconds to cast a track to the hi-fi system.  This has been driving me insane for about a year so I just signed up to a spotify family account....only to find....that only one echo device can play music at anyone time.  Yes the hi-fi is now amazingly fast to play a track (using spotify connect).  But....to only be able to play on one echo device at a time is a backward step.

The 2 workaround solutions proposed by spotify are not workable

1) I can't have all echo devices logged in to separate amazon accounts in an amazon household.  Totally unworkable - as it means none of the smatrhome stuff will work (or announcements) across multiple devices

2) The solution to play the track on your phone and then "spotify connect" to your echo again is not always usable.  1) my kids surrender their phones at bedtime and then want to play some quiet music on their echos...  2) I want the ease of being able to ask alexa to play some music....not get my phone out....open spotify....search for some tracks....and then spotify connect to a device.  It's a backward step when amazon music and deezer do not have this limitation.

I remember I went through all this pain a year ago with spotify...but had completely forgotten about the Amazon echo device limitation!     There was a reason I wasn't using Spotify - and this is it!

I'm going to cancel spotify....and  move back to either Amazon Music or Deezer.   Given a choice between poor hi-fi connectivity or only a single echo device being able to stream music....i'd rather that we can play tracks seamlessly via voice commands across the entire house.

Come on spotify - Gone are the days of families having a single Amazon echo device in their house.   You really need to study how your users want to consume music in 2023 and beyond.

HugoAugusto

Spotify, 7 years that this issue is still a problem! Amazon Music did it, Apple Music did it, except you. Listen to your customers! Already trying Apple music but would prefer Spotify.

Straggles

It is absolutely unbelievable that this has not been fixed yet, what else do you want Spotify? I am cancelling my subscription right now.

jetcopter

I also cancelled my premium Spotify account and moved to amazon music family for this exact reason. Considering moving to Apple Music who also allows for this on Amazon Alexa devices but figured I would check to see if Spotify got their game together finally.  Unfortunately, that is not the case.  Allow multiple streams from family accounts, set a max of six concurrent streams (since that is how many accounts get with a family account) and call it a day. 

Edit: YouTube Music also allows for multiple device streaming with Amazon Alexa.  So instead of giving Spotify your $16.99 a month, consider Amazon Music, Apple Music, and YouTube Music.