Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android]: Bring back "Pin playlists to homescreen"

According to a discussion on https://community.spotify.com/t5/Your-Library/Move-playlists-to-Homescreen/td-p/5453989 it is "currently not available".

Albums are possible to be pinned to the homescreen, but the support to do the same with playlists is removed recently

Through this way I would like to request to add this functionality back to the android app

Updated on 2022-12-05

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Top Answer
BoredFish
Regular

***update: I did get a playlist shortcut back on my Android homescreen finally. Try going into the app drawer, long press on the Spotify icon, the Playlist i wanted popped up in the context menu, another long press sent it to the homescreen.

***update 2: Wasn't sure at first how to control what playlists show up in the long press pop-up but so far it has worked by navigating to the Playlist and hitting the phone's homescreen button and going back through the long-press process above. Each time the most recently displayed playlist in the app was visible in the pop-up.

I'm a little late to this party. My last two phones had the shortcuts automatically transferred over by the phone backup service; so I had no idea this had been removed until my most recent phone transfer didn't bring them with it! Super bummed. I used those homescreen shortcuts literally every day.

Like @phrozenstare mentioned, my work vehicle is a Ford Transit van fleet vehicle. No android auto even though it's a 2019 so the shortcut was a huge lifesaver while driving. Not every new vehicle has fancy tech.

Comments
VenterraZero

Well I guess the answer to this question might be cynical and offending against the very special and awesome developer team from Spotify. 

And let's not forget about the unbelievable flawless developer management from Spotify who consider, plan and want those changes. 

All those guys together do everything they can to give us this very special user experience, that we are doomed to experience now. 😉

chasey1004

I really hope they bring back this feature, I really loved having my favorite playlists pinned for easy access and now I can't pin the new ones I've made recently it's really frustrating!

VenterraZero
Well here is a workaround that worked for me

Play the playlist so it that it is in your "Recently Played"

Slow press the Spotify app launch button on your home screen

Then a list of Recently Played playlist appears

Slow press the playlist you want to add to the Home Screen

You can now drag it across your Home Screen

Lynelf

VenterraZero 

You're a lifesaver! 

Penquin1972

Now the workaround for pinning playlists no longer works, and yesterday (25 Nov) I found, as feared, they have now also removed the ability to pin albums to the home screen. This is absurd. They have deliberately broken the app by removing essential, core functions. I wrote to Spotify's support department asking why and asking to be put in touch with someone who could explain and justify these changes to me, but have received no reply.

Spotify are no longer providing the service we are paying for, and are refusing to explain why. This is unacceptable. I have started investigating other music streaming services, as there is now no reason to stay with Spotify. If anyone knows of an alternative service which allows the pinning of albums and playlists, please let us know. 

GermanOne88

Please bring it back for albums and playlists on Android! I almost used this function every day and now it's gone! It really makes me sad.

mark_a_thompson

It's been asked before but I'll add it again anyway:

What was the point of removing a useful feature?  

This needs to be restored and it shouldn't take x number of votes.  It's not like you don't already have the code.

stopherjones

I use the 'Add to Home Screen' feature regularly, probably daily, to add shortcuts to playlists and albums I want to try out or come back to later. Please bring this feature back, you can see from the votes and comments that this is a popular feature and should not have been deprecated. Thanks

stopherjones

Oh, and the 'workaround' doesn't work for me, on Android

rbm78bln
The 'workaround' was deliberately removed by the company after they had
learned that they forgot to remove it from that part of the app as
well.

Now let's make a guess whether the feature will come back anytime
soon., no matter how many of us are voting for this thread here 😞