Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android]: Bring back "Pin playlists to homescreen"

According to a discussion on https://community.spotify.com/t5/Your-Library/Move-playlists-to-Homescreen/td-p/5453989 it is "currently not available".

Albums are possible to be pinned to the homescreen, but the support to do the same with playlists is removed recently

Through this way I would like to request to add this functionality back to the android app

Updated on 2022-12-05

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Top Answer
BoredFish
Regular

***update: I did get a playlist shortcut back on my Android homescreen finally. Try going into the app drawer, long press on the Spotify icon, the Playlist i wanted popped up in the context menu, another long press sent it to the homescreen.

***update 2: Wasn't sure at first how to control what playlists show up in the long press pop-up but so far it has worked by navigating to the Playlist and hitting the phone's homescreen button and going back through the long-press process above. Each time the most recently displayed playlist in the app was visible in the pop-up.

I'm a little late to this party. My last two phones had the shortcuts automatically transferred over by the phone backup service; so I had no idea this had been removed until my most recent phone transfer didn't bring them with it! Super bummed. I used those homescreen shortcuts literally every day.

Like @phrozenstare mentioned, my work vehicle is a Ford Transit van fleet vehicle. No android auto even though it's a 2019 so the shortcut was a huge lifesaver while driving. Not every new vehicle has fancy tech.

Comments
ddinstel

I really don't understand the point of removing a useful feature, nor why paying subscribers need to come here to vote to try to get it restored. I will be "voting" by exploring other options and cancelling my subscription here.

0kfi-fr_ls80q
Unfortunately Spotify is looking for money more and more and that feature
isn't good for their business model.
They make more money suggesting music from new or unknown artists to you
then from your paid subscription.
So when you listen to your own playlist over and over again, they make less
money.
Their goal is to make you go in the app to look for your playlists, so in
the app they will softly force you to listen to something else.
Penquin1972

Thank you 0kfi-fr_ls80q, your explanation is the first and only thing I have read which makes sense in explaining the removal of these features. It also explains why none of Spotify's rivals that I've looked at have them. Deezer used to have these functions on Windows Phone, but when I was forced to switch to Android with the end of the WP OS I discovered the Android version of the app lacked them, which was the only reason I moved to Spotify.

Looking at the various music streaming services, it seems their apps are all more or less as awful as each other. Tidal has better sound quality, and has folders, but you can't pin an album into a folder, only a playlist, so you have to convert each album you want to put into a folder to a playlist first. Amazon Music theoretically has better sound quality, but I can't hear the difference with the equipment I use (I can with Tidal). Spotify has folders, but you can only organise them using the PC app, not on a phone or tablet. Tidal doesn't even let you change the image for a playlist. In short, all of these services are distinctly lacking, and don't seem interested in providing the functionality users want and need. At least thanks to 0kfi-fr_ls80q we have a plausible explanation as to why they want to force us to use their unfit for purpose apps. 

EfrainIvan

How many votes are needed? For our beloved Spotify to accept our request? 

Karnol00

Please bring back feature. I payed for it in premium. I also ride on motorcycle so having the icon on homescreen to tap and play helps. 

TammaTommo

I need this to be brought back right now. I'm just paying for my premium acc again and this is so disappointing

EfrainIvan
  • @joan How many votes will be enough for Spotify? 
Trish87

Firstly, sorry to be direct but it was a stupid idea to remove this feature. Secondly, how many votes are needed to bring it back??? I need this feature in my life please!!!!

Dushahappy

Bring Back Pin Playlists to Homescreen

Keeping track of a bunch of playlists can get old. Luckily, Spotify has got your back. There are two ways to go about it: you can have the playlists sent to your desktop or you can have them on demand, but only if you have Spotify Premium.

The most difficult part is deciding which one to keep. A smarter solution would be to have the playlists sent to a desktop, a laptop, a tablet, or a smartphone, but that would entail having to retrain one or more of your friends and family. You may have to compromise, but the reward is all the more sweet.

The other best option is to have the playlists sent to a cloud-based service, but that's a whole other ballgame. The best way to do this is by using the Spotify app to send your music to a desktop, tablet or smartphone, and then have it retrieved at a later date. The good news is that you can retrieve all of your music in a matter of seconds, which is a big deal if you're the type who doesn't like to carry around your music on a regular basis. If you're looking for a music solution for your mobile life, Spotify is the jack of all trades, and master of all trades, which will ensure that you don't miss out on the best of the best. The worst is that it takes time away from you, but it is well worth the hassle. Thank you Spotify for giving us this awesome app cheers! im Happy

Aegean1970

Feature is no longer available for albums too... And now I'm even more disappointed