Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Remove the Shuffle / Play Button

Hi, I tried out your new design, which I have mixed feelings about, but nevermind that. The most annoying thing I come over in the new Spotify (for iPhone by the way) is the dumb, big, overlapping, unnecessary shuffle play button that pops up everywhere. Is this a bug or is this on purpose? Could at least had add an option for it. Also, it doesn't look streamlined at all with the current design. Did it even occur that not everyone wants a shuffle play button?

Updated on 2020-11-04

Hey folks,
As some of you will have noticed, this has changed on iOS.
We've updated the idea, so that we can update everyone more accurately with regards to Android.
We're marking this as a 'Good idea', too.
Please know that your feedback is reaching the right teams here.

We'll post an update if anything changes!
Thanks

Comments
dinomight
The problem with removing it completely is that turning shuffle on from now playing doesn't accomplish the same thing. The shuffle play button provides a quick way to randomly listen to large playlists, which is how I use it almost any time I'm using my playlists. I wouldn't want to have to select a song to start playing everytime before I can shuffle. This is why I don't think total removal of the button is the answer. Making it optional or taking off the float would be a fine compromise though.
Maxnorman43
Spotify, there must be a better way to implement this button. How about you remove that enormous pill shaped mistake and put a small icon next to the available offline toggle. Honestly, anything would be betterr...
trodlightly
Get rid of it unless option it, for premium users.
indivisible

The dominance of the Shuffle Play button is an insult to the albums of the 20th century that are intended to be listened to as a whole piece of work; greater than the sum of the parts. The current Shuffle Play button an insult to fans of music who respect that history and most of all, Shuffle Play button is an insult to the artists who continue to make albums in a digital age, when the industry pushes artists towards creating a perpetual outpour Greatest Hits. Certainly makes me question the passions and drives of those who lead the assault at Spotify. I pay for a premium service, yet I seem to be getting less choice. When did shuffle become the industry standard? Play is the industry standard. 

Spotify - just because a ton of people cried out that they found the shuffle button difficult to locate - wasn't licence for you to just flip the problem. More customisation please. More choice for the consumer to curate their own experience.

Shinguru
I second this suggestion. Please remove it (or make it optional) for premium users
Fred

Smaller, optional or whatever, the way it is right now is not good. If I go through the trouble of sorting a playlist, I probably want it played in that order. So, a big shuffle-play button helps me...not at all!

Please spotify, change the user interface asap!

drkiko
is there a way to turn off the shuffle play ? I'm a premium user.
andylaurie

Totally agree with Maxnorman43 about placing the shuffle button next to available offline, it could even look as it does now to be obvious - but it just needs to scroll off the screen, as the aviailable offline toggle does.  

Those who like to use shuffle would, I imagine, choose to do so as soon as they have selected the playist. This solution would make that easy and would prevent the rest of us are having our spotify user experience ruined by a huge, useless green blob. It is self-evident that those people scrolling through the song list ARE NOT SHUFFLERS.

Rodrigo

The shuffle button is annoying on the iPhone 5/5C/5S 4" screen but it's just sad on the iPhone 4/4S, which has a smaller display. And it just goes away from both the iOS design and the rest of the app's. Look at that (Sorry, my phone is in Portuguese):

IMG_2269.png

That's how it looks on my iPhone. The UI is covering more than half of the screen. Even when the UI "goes away", it still blocks about half of the screen.

A solution to that problem would be moving the button from the middle of the screen to the top bar, where "Your Music" is written, as a shuffle icon.

As of android, I believe they could update the app to use the new Material Design, so instead of that big button, a small circle with a shuffle icon would appear. You would have something like this concept, but, in the Playlist's case, you would see a mosaic of the albums (like the playlist avatar) as the header:

spotify_material_design.png

biscuitmonster

I have a theory.  I think the "Shuffle Play" button might be a way for Spotify to ensure low-cost songs are played first, before more expensive songs are played.

This would explain why it's so prominent.

Think about it.  You have a list of songs.  Some cost you more than others.  What if you could convince the user to let you decide which songs are played more often?  Bingo!