Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Click album art to go to song in playlist

It used to be functionality that if you clicked on album art (in bottom left corner or in Now Playing window) it would open the current playlist showing the currently playing track. This no longer works. 

Please bring it back as it is really time-consuming trying to find the track in the playlist (in large playlists). I used to use this function for almost every track that played. It's really annoying it no longer works.

Current functionality of clicking on album art in Now Playing takes you to the album - this is pointless as you can do that by clicking on the song title in Now Playing to do that.

SOLUTION: You can jump to the song in the current playlist - click on the Playlist Name at the top of the Now Playing pane (i.e. above the album art)

Comments
bolfh

The so-called "solution" is at best a workaround, because more clicks are required and many users do not want to see the "now playing" panel but prefer the informative columns of the main window.

bosi

This is not an idea, it is a bug report! It is a bug to change the behaviour of clicking to the album art in this destructive fashion. Please stop doing this. Please consult a usability expert.

FuarkKudoSystem

There's ALREADY a button on the bottom right panel to toggle the unwanted Now Playing stuff. Bring back the old functionality of clicking the album art to jump to the now playing position. The overpaid designers are destroying the Desktop app. People use Desktop app, not everyone is mobile user. When someone sits at a cafe, or at work or comes home, they use Desktop App. Not everyone is commuting every time or walking. People use Desktop app, so don't destroy it. And the community moderators on this site, please talk to the overpaid designers IN PERSON. The "ideas" are not "passed to the right folks", as you claim. You should be getting their salaries. Because you're not destroying the Desktop app, the overpaid designers of Spotify do.

steve_wilko

Dumbest change I've seen in a long while. Implementing this under the guise of bringing the desktop app into line with the mobile app is also dumb. They are two separate things, if i wanted to use the mobile app i'd pick up my damned phone and use it instead. Absolutely brain dead.

Oakeybloke

Not sure why it was taken away in the first place?

raremarc

On the last version, you can click on the playlist button to return to the song. It's better than nothing.

Edwin71

@raremarc, what do you mean with "playlist button" (in the desktop app)?

misterbk

To navigate to the currently playing track in your playlist, right now users must do the following:

1. Select a completely different playlist.
  2. Activate the "Now Playing" view panel (often hidden), by either clicking the album art (not song title) on the left, or the "now playing panel" button on the right, of the play controls bar.
  3. Now that you've selected a different playlist, clicking the name of your playlist will take you to the currently playing song.
  4. About 50% of the time, you have to repeat steps 1 and 3 because the first time didn't work.

Community moderators are giving advice that all you have to do is #3, and that's just false.

This comes right on the tail of you guys burying our playlist groups, too.  The primary purpose of the Spotify app interface is to navigate and curate playlists.  This isn't Pandora, where it's OK if you can't do that.  A critical core aspect of our ability to manage our playlists is now buried under a puzzle-box UI riddle that no normal user is ever going to figure out on their own.  You've got your entire user base scrolling entire playlists looking for a subtle green highlight, every time they want to manage the songs they know are adjacent to the one that's playing.

It's not all good with the workaround.  It's a major UI bug impacting the core purpose of using the app. 

hoodstomp

Chiming in to keep this thread alive. This UX has been a major pain point for me since the release of this updated UI. I do not like having the sidebar open as it takes up an uncomfortable amount of screen space. In order to find where I am in a playlist, I have to open the sidebar, then click on the playlist title. An extra click is fine in some UX flows, but when that extra click forces you to interact with an object that you don't want to interact with it becomes a detractor and makes the experience worse.

cour10e22

One more step in this cluster of a customer journey map is that you ALSO have to CLOSE the sidebar after you finally get to the playlist. REVERT!